Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cURL Critical Vulnerability

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Don't know how many of you use curl to access potentially malicious links. If you do, upgrade or grab the header first (-I dash uppercase I as in Idaho) to avoid this and look at the returned Location field to make sure that it is not using a mail protocol like pop3.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/cURL-goes-wrong-1800880.html

I usually grab the header first since 9 out of 10 times the malicious link redirects to a page with an exploit kit on it. In that case, I would immediately be suspicious of the redirect being to a mail protocol.

It's easy to feel confident and skip that step and just grab the full HTML since you are getting text in Linux and pretending to be John Doe with IE8 clicking the link from a gmail message smile.png

Now it looks like the joke may be on you.

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users