Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There a Virus/Worm That BLocks You From Getting an IP Address?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

My wife was messing around and we can no longer connect to the Internet..

Cleaned it with Malwarebytes and it found 8 objects.. I removed them and renewed my IP and I then got an IP..

Malwarebytes requested I restart, and when I did no IP or DNS or nada again..

did  the same thing in safe mode but still nada?

any ideas or suggestions?

oNe

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2013 - 04:21 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Can you connect to your router?  Are you sure your new IP address is OK?  If you can access the router config page with a browser you should be able to check the actual Internet, Local IP and DNS server addresses (as well as several other methods).  You could also try pinging a known IP address which cuts out the DNS eg "208.43.87.2", no quotes, (which is BC).  Putting that in the address bar of your browser will also work.

In answer to the actual question, yes a virus can stop your computing doing any number of things!

Edited by Nanobyte, 12 February 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#3 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I fancied myself an IT guy, BUT then I read your message and realized I had no BLEEPING idea what your talking about.. 

FEAR NOT tho as I am not completely useless( I do work on an IT Helpdesk, supporting 25,000 end users).. 

Maybe I did not explain clearly,.  I get no IP address or anything(all 0's) when running ipconfig..

I ran malwarebytes and had it remove 8 objects.. then I ran ipconfig and i got valid info..  However when I went to try my web browser it failed, and then Malwarebytes requested I restart..  when I did, NO IP again.. I then ran malwarebytes in safe mode.. but not change.. 

I am running it on the user account, should I also run it on the Admin account profile as well? 

connect to router?  <-- Do yo mean typing in the 192.168.1.1 in the browser? 

I will try that 2nite when I get home.. as well as pinging the known IP.. 

Any other suggestions?   Any recent or major virus/worm that would cause this?    running ipconfig /renew takes forever and fails, same thing on the GUI(network connections)..

let me know..

oNe

P.S. Is this a valid statement:  If I was A+ certified I would have known the the BLEEP you were talking about?   TRUE or NOT?

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

If you lost the address of the PC on the network (as opposed to the Internet IP address and DNS Server) then it sounds like MB deleted a significant file.  The requested reports should tie that down.

Re connecting to router, if your router address is 192.168.1.1, then putting that in your browser address bar should take you to the configuration pages of the router.

To ping your router, go to command line and at the prompt type ping 192.168.1.1  . You can replace that with any known external IP address - useful to bypass the DNS.  You can also put a domain name there rather than IP address.  I use a small utility TJPing which is handy because it remembers the addresses.  If you are troubleshooting, command line can be annoying regarding typing.

#5 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

THAnK YOU!!

I couldn't even turn on my computer without the BSOD.. so I restarted in SAFE MODE and ran malware bytes, both on my user account and Admin account.

I was then able to restart successfully and NOW have a valip IP and now am clean and can connect to the Internet..

THANK YOU!

oNe

#6 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

when I re-run Malwarebytes it no longer finds any issues and says 0 objects found..so log is empty? 

Everything is still working so far..    I can try running it in SafeMode 2nite if you still wish...

let me know.. 

THANKS again, you have been most helpful, can't believe the whole world does NOT know about this site!

LIFESAVERS!!  err, PC usage Savers! hehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users