Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP crashes only when entering any safe mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 punkieys17

punkieys17

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

recently bleeping computer forum helped me succeed in battle with a virus. Has left me with a puzzling problem, XP runs OK until I try to enter any safe mode - it then crashes and gives the following stop code

0x00000007b (0xf7c72528, 0xc0000034, followed by oxc00000's)

I have checked other forum posts but these seem to relate to PC's crashing in all modes.

Have run chkdsk and fixmbr and fixboot from an XP installation disk - only slightly unusual thing to report is it found 2 windows installations including minint - no idea what that is but think its something to do with a recovery partition.

Any help greatly appreciated as safe mode is useful in debugging the occasional glitches.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

By chance...did you modify any settings using msconfig while trying to resolve your previous issues?

From what I see, your situation may be the result of malware.

Louis

Previous malware topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481040/adserver-infection-and-others/page-2 .

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#3 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hi nLouis, - not that I am aware. Only executed the instructions as per the previous topic. The malware was pretty well embedded. 

J

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

By chance...did you try either reinstalling XP or installing SP3 after your troubles began?

Worth a look, IMO:  http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156593 .

IIRC, these STOP 34 errors often occur because of the BIOS settings or a user has attempted to install Windows with inappropriate BIOS settings.  At least worth checking, IMO.

Ahhhh...I just happened to reread this:  <<Have run chkdsk and fixmbr and fixboot from an XP installation disk...>>

System manufacturer and model?

Where did the XP install disk come from?

Louis

#5 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

IBM t43 laptop and the disc was bought new by me to upgrade to Win xp.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Minit...is a hidden profile...which I believe is associated with HP systems.

If you bought a MS Genuine XP CD and then did a clean install...there should not be an HP or any other hidden  partition present, IMO.

Louis

#7 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

The laptop was bought second hand and already had Xp etc installed. So not sure why there is a second partition. The Xp disc was bought for another PC but I can use that to run recovery console etc on any Xp equiped machine

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

OK, thanks.

Not sure you should have fun any commands from the RC on a system with a hidden partition reflecting the boot files.

Per http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.ibm.thinkpad/7342"While fixmbr would probably work, fixboot most certainly will not as it replaces the first block of a partition, not the MBR of the disk."

To be honest, I can't account for your situation...but hold on for responses by some of the more knowledgeable members.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users