Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satalite P300 not getting past post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tokeno13

tokeno13

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hello,                                                                                                   Sorry for the miss spelling of Satellite in

Header.

I ave a Toshiba Satellite P300 not getting past post stage,  I cannot access the settings or Boot selection.

I have not done any updates at all on the unit.

I have done some research and found the possible cause may be the Optical drive the bios is looking for the boot selection in the ODD but cannot find it so it hangs up instead of moving on to the HD which leads me to believe the ODD is defective.

Now this is a theory and I am hoping one off you may have had the issue and will be able to give me some insight on what your fix was.

Things I have done:

I have removed the ram, Battery, and HD reinstalled no go,

I removed the ODD and tried to run it and still no go as I believe the bios is looking for it to move forward ( it was worth a try).

Any information that could point me in the proper direction would be great and if I am on the right track please inform me.

Thank you

Edited by tokeno13, 11 February 2013 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spiraling

spiraling

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Mabe this will be of help:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?soid=403623

Did you try one of the F function keys to get into bios/boot menu? Not sure about this model but on others it is F12 or F2 I believe, should be able to find out from the manufacturer help files. 

Edited by spiraling, 12 February 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#3 tokeno13

tokeno13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yes I have tried the F2 for setiing access and the F12 for the boot sector selection and they just hang I have decided to go pick up a ODD today and give it a try I will post my findings when completed.

Thank you for your impute and the link.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I would have thought that current BIOS would skip to the next device on the boot list if one is missing, for the very reason of hardware failures.  No beeps?

#5 tokeno13

tokeno13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I got a ODD from a working laptop and I was wrong still the same and I thought the same thing the boot selection should hav moved on but i got the idea reom the Toshiba site their is just not much info out there on this unit for some reason.

What I have done so far:

1. Swapped out the ram as it has two sticks. -- Ok
  2. Ruled out the ODD as suggested in another form--OK
  3. No beeps or sounds from the laptop it just sits at the Toshiba screen.

Does not allow me to get into the bios or boot selection.

Question,

If it is a disc failure the unit should still be able to get into the bios correct? I have never experienced a disc failure but as far a theory goes I should be able to access the bios and basic functions of the motherboard correct?

I hope what I am thinking is not correct, the motherboard…what is the symptoms of a defective motherboard?

I thank you for your impute any help is appreciated.

Edited by tokeno13, 12 February 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

You only need RAM for boot.

Symptoms of defective motherboard are that the PC doesn't work!  Seriously, it depends on what is wrong.  I'm sure a repair tech would simply swop the board for a known good one to find out.  There aren't any simple tests other than ruling everything else out.

Did anything strange precede the demise of the laptop?

Have you tried a hard reset - disconnect all power, remove all batteries, hold "on" button for 20 secs? I looked up "toshiba satellite bios reset" and found several variations which involved shorting the printed circuit.  You would have to look yourself to see if any fit your model (unless anyone in BC knows for sure).

Edited by Nanobyte, 12 February 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#7 tokeno13

tokeno13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

I thank you for your time and advise I will give your idea a try and check the ways to reset the bios,

To answer your question:

Did anything strange precede the demise of the laptop?     No

I used it the evening before and upon starting it after work the next day the issues started happening it's quite strange usually you get a warning of some kind before a failure.

I did remove all power sources and dismantled the unit to chek all connections just incase and I did try the hard reset.

Thanks again,

Oh one more thing I tried to boot from disk to use my ERD tools and hurons disk to check the HD but it would not boot from the drive and it is new.

Edited by tokeno13, 12 February 2013 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users