Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenSuSe 12.2 and youtube.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Ive been dabbling with linux for some time, but wouldnt consider myself an expert, and recently, I finally got completly tired of windows, and have switched to OpenSuSe 12.2 as my primary OS. My problem comes into play with playingvideos. I installed java, and I believe it was the icedtea plugin, and I can play some youtube videos with sound, video, everything, but some videos, when I hit the play button, the sound plays fine, but the video will not display. On youtube, usually the official music videos play fine, but the non official ones (the ones where people put their own video in) dont, and most news program videos will only play the sound. Ive got all my appropriate drivers installed to my knowledge, as well as plugins. Im running mozilla firefox.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

try installing the  chromium browser and see if that will solve your problem. check it out buy going to youtube and viewing some videos.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

alright, it works perfectly in chromium, so I now know its a firefox issue. I can use chromium if I have to, but I prefer firefox, so I guess now I just need to find out what specifically in firefox is causing the issie.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,982 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

yea firefox has been having some flash issues. at least you can use chromium. i noticed that there has been some flash updates; maybe installing the newest might fix the firefox issue.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

newest flash update didnt do any good unfortunatly, I already tried that.

picard5.jpg

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

patriot...have you seen this:  Amazon Instant Video on OpenSuse 12.2 – FlashPlayer and DRM issues. « Dispatches from Andyland

QUOTE:

Adobe Flash needs the deprecated hal daemon. It isn’t in the standard OpenSuse install, but is in the KDE 3 repository: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_Factory

Adobe’s instructions for the location of the flash plugin is wrong,
the RPM version in /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so works.
(Flash is in the NonOSS repository http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.2/repo/non-oss/) Adobe’s instructions are to bypass the RPM and download their tar.gz archive. That didn’t seem to be necessary for me.

All in all its straightforward, but the information was scattered to find. The openSuse forums
discussed finding HAL in KDE3, but not the exact repository, and in
between rants that Adobe shouldn’t be using it anyway and rants that DRM
is evil (I might agree with both, but that doesn’t help the issue.).
Adobe mentions that it needs hal but where and how to install it for
openSuse 12.2. The Adobe Linux flash help page does have a sample flash
video player that will report DRM access and a sample DRM protected
movie (the “Getty train video”) to test against, but its suggestions to
use tar.gz over RPMs has some unfortunate long term consequences.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

alright, thanks buddy for that, was going to try it, but managed to get it fixed thanks to a friend of mine, using sudo.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install x264 

it gave me an error when I did it, but upon restart, it was working fine. Thanks all for your help.

picard5.jpg

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Which proves there is more than one way to skin a lynx Linux...devil.gif

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users