Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 gets frozen everytime I start it - Not responding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

My outloook 2010 was working just fine until I did not use my computer for about an entire month. I switched off my notebook and did not get around to using it for a whole month. When I started to use my HP notebook with Windows 7, Outlook would start just fine but hang as soon as I clicked on anything (email, tab, options anything). It gave me the Outlook is not responding, close the program or restart error. If I just open Outlook without touching anything, it would get stuck during send/receive. I have noticed this new gear icon on the bottom right next to send/recieve which on a mouse hover says 'Data file check in progress'. I tried starting it in safe mode (Outlook /safe) with the same results. Another odd thing I have recently noticed is a random pop up which says my appointments could not be synced (I have Google calendar Sync installed). A general occurence (even before this issue) is that my reminders would randomly pop up at regular intervals on my desktop even when Outlook was completely shut down (this still happens). I have tried the scanpst utility and it gave some errors, I scanned and repaired this file but with no improvement. I have not installed or removed any new programs since. (I started Outlook as soon as I switched on my computer).I have also tried repairing Microsoft Office via the uninstall programs feature.
Please help!

Thanks.

Edited by kunalthechamp, 11 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like you outlook profile corrupted. Follow this guide to create a new profile:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Then import your old information from your old pst file (Use the last option on the page - Import information from a Personal Folders file (.pst)):

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/import-a-file-HP003073738.aspx#_Toc278198847

If outlook cannot read a email because it is corrupt, it will not import it. So don't be suprised if you are missing a email or two.

Let me know how it works out.

David

#3 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Ok this drove me really crazy, I have no idea what to do now. I have a Hotmail account as the default account for the old profile. For the new profile, I set up the hotmail account exactly as before as the default account. (I had 7 email addresses configured in the old profile). When I followed your instructions to import export, I was surprised to find:

1) The hotmail account does not have any data file associated with it. It says data file not available in both the new and old profile. Is this because it is a MAPI account?

2) When I imported data from the default data file that showed up in the import tool it only imported 38 deleted items in the deleted emails folder. This file is named backup.pst and is only 33.6 MB in size. There are four other files (all .pst) in the same folder My Outlook Data File (494 MB), My Outlook Data File(1) 265 KB, My Outlook Data File(2) 513 KB and a fourth file in the name of one of my email accounts 376 MB.

Now in the control panel -> mail option, when I display the data files of the original profile and click show location I am presented with 9 files

Original Profile 28.1 MB

Original Profile0.ost 4.92 GB

Original Profile1.ost 671 MB

Original Profile0.bak 4.42 GB

My name.ost 668 MB

Account1.pst 1.34 GB

Account2.pst 30.5 MB

Account3.pst 4.39 GB

Account4.pst 5.82 MB

Please guide me and help me how to proceed !!!

Hotmail is still stuck

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

The ost files are most likly from hotmail. They are a offline copy of the email from your hotmail account. We will worry about that later. Try to import from all of the other pst files that you find. Once you import everything, you can go through and cleanup whatever you don't need. After you import everything, I would move all the old pst files somewhere else or delete them so you know which file is the new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users