Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Updates Again and Ask Toolbar Petition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

In 8 days those that still have Java on their comps will need to update.

A petition has been started to get Oracle to stop the Ask Toolbar crap. That's

what a lot of users are calling the Ask Toolbar and other junk ware that so many

programs try to sneak by the users.

You can read about the petition here: Petition | Oracle Corporation: Stop bundling Ask Toolbar with the Java installer | Change.org

Info on the next Java update: More Java patches due soon | PCWorld

A bit from the petition site:

.....It is demeaning for a respected corporation such as Oracle to resort
to such techniques only to make a small profit. Ask Toolbar hijacks
user's default search engine and forwards them to Ask search engine
which resorts to various misleading advertisement techniques in order to
confuse the unsuspecting users into clicking on their paid ads..........

More information about this deception can be found in this article:
http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at-how-oracle-installs-deceptive-software-with-java-updates-7000010038/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

FWIW:  The toolbar download...can be avoided...in the same manner as any unwanted download of such...by electing the custom install option.

After clicking the various buttons...a screen appears with the toolbar option already checked.

All a user has to do is uncheck that option...and continue with the install routine.

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp?locale=en ,

Louis

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Sure...all you have to do is remember to unclick during each and every update.

Many don't remember to do that, miss it or think that the Toolbar is necessary. That is

what the multi-billion dollar Oracle is wanting their Java users to do.

That is why it is so unethical for the defaults in installers to require the user to UNcheck

the boxes or get a lot of crap that no sane person would want if they knew what the crapware's 

actual purpose was.

As the Bott article puts it...."Java’s updater, by contrast, is a mess. It doesn’t work properly with
limited user accounts, and as I’ve demonstrated here, it requires user
interaction and unethically attempts to push add-ons that no sane
Windows user would accept if they knew how that software works.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Braindust

Braindust

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I was trying to read up about Ask search engine today.  I have NIS that uses Ask, which I do not want.  Have to tried to look up how to remove or disable Ask ..found one thread on Norton forums.. tried what was suggested but it didn't work.

Reading the thread many people had differing opinions about it, but this was from 2009.

Edit: try another AV/IS ?

Edited by Braindust, 11 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Braindust...one of the programs below will find and remove the Ask crap.

If you still need help removing it, post the logs from the two programs in a new

topic in the Am I Infected Forum.....

Junkware Removal Tool Download

AdwCleaner Download

You may need to reset your home page in your browser after removal...or not.

#6 Braindust

Braindust

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Can see I can disable it by disabling Norton Safe Search, but then I don't have safe search lol I just personally wish Norton didn't use it as their search engine.

Have already used JRT and AdwCleaner, both came up clean.  Thanks :)

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,312 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

All you need to do now is just reset your browser for Google or Bing, etc...whichever you want for

a default search engine. If you need help with that tell us which browser you are using.

Search Help | - SLN2227 - Changing your Internet browser's default search engine

Edited by buddy215, 12 February 2013 - 09:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users