Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Java safe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trevrev

Trevrev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hello,

I've been reading recently about how Java is very unsafe to use at the moment due to security issues.

So, i looked into making sure i was all up to date, but i can't find an update tab on the Java control panel. I'm running windows 7 64bit.

Would it be safer for me just to uninstall it, as it is getting so much bad press.

Some advise on this would be very helpful.

Thanks............Trev.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 simsboy27

simsboy27

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Hello,

Java has been having some security issues lately. If you don't really use Java for anything or you don't use it often I would recommend you would just uninstall it. If you don't want to do this, you should at least disable Java in your browsers. A tutorial to do this is located here...

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/disable_browser.xml

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

If you wish to retain Java, then check for Updates (always listed on the forum) and delete old versions

At the last check I found Version 7 update 13 was current - Follow this if you wish to update or check your version >

1. Update your Java version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Note 1: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software offered with the Java update. The pre-checked toolbars/software are not part of the Java update.

Note 2: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications.

2. Now, we need to remove old Java version and its remnants...

Download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it.

•Run JavaRa.exe (Vista and 7 users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.

•Accept any prompts.

Regards -

#4 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

Thanks for all your help guys.

I'll be on to that asap.