Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extended display problems with one widescreen and one 4:3 monitor?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 misslima

misslima

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

I have recently acquired a new work computer with 1 widescreen Dell monitor (Dell E228WFPc 1680 x 1050, Monitor A) and my older 4:3 monitor (E178FPc 1024 x 768, Monitor B). The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 620. I cannot get them both working at the same time on an extended display.

One is plugged into (excuse my slightly less-than-technical language here!) the 'main' monitor port and one has a VGA-DVI adapter.

When either monitor A or B is plugged into the main port without the other plugged in, they work fine.

When monitor A, the widescreen, is plugged into the main port and B is plugged in via the adapter, A works perfectly and the PC detects monitor B (if I set it to extend displays, programs open in that screen but I cannot see anything - the screen is completely black).

When B is plugged into the main port and A is on the adapter, B boots up normally until the point where I would usually see my Windows log in, when it goes black and I can only see and move the cursor.

I thought it would be a case of adjusting the screen res down so that they weren't so drastically different - in fact I'm still sure that would help but I can't get the smaller monitor B to let me do so and it doesn't seem to make a difference when widescreen monitor A is plugged into the main port with B in the other?

Please help!

Edited by misslima, 11 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

What kind of ports are on the graphics card?  Two DVI ports (this seems to be the case since you mention a VGA to DVI adapter and the smaller monitor only has a VGA port according to the Dell website)?  It likely won't matter, but it will help fill in the picture a little more for me.

Is the smaller monitor always connected to the graphics card with the adapter (based upon your one statement it does not appear so, but I want to make 100% sure I am understanding things)?  If so, you might try another adapter.  I kind of doubt it will help, but it is worth the try.

Beyond that I don't really see anything "obvious".  Have you checked to make sure you are using the most current graphics card drivers?  This can be a mixed bag as on occasion newer drivers can cause problems.  So, the alternative could be to try an older version of the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users