Hello, I just had this pesky error and spent three hours researching and trying to fix it. I wanted to have this searchable in case others have come across the same problem. This problem occurs when you try to install certain programs. I tried all of these fixes, but I'll label the one that worked for me. (I will only show the fixes I tried which have been confirmed to work for others). My operating system is a Windows 7 64 bit. Enjoy
1. Create a new administrator account, log on to that account, then run the installer from that account. (this is what worked for me. )
(Simply running the installer as an administrator account from my normal account did not work)
2. Go to the command prompt (by clicking the windows logo/start and typing cmd ),
then type regedit inside the command prompt and press enter. Browse to the location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> Microsoft --> Windows -->Current Version --> Explorer --> User Shell Folders. Click to highlight the Recent key, then click File, export. Save the file (but remember where you saved it to). Go back to the registry editer, right click Recent and click delete. Restart your computer and try the installation again. (please take care when you're in the registry editer, deleting the wrong thing could lead to: )
(If this one did not work, go back to User Shell Folders inside the registry editor, click a blank area inside the right pane, click File, import, and choose the Recent key you exported earlier. This will put the key back in your registry.)
3. Boot up in safe mode with networking ( to do this, start up your computer and press F8 like a
madman before the windows logo appears on the screen.) and try to run the installer as an administrator.
I hope this helps someone in the future. Cheers!
Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2013 - 02:51 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Win 7 - Hamluis.