Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locks Up Shortly after Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bbaird

Bbaird

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

I realize that there are other post with a similar Name/Problem which I have read through and all seem to have slight Variations that make them different than my problem. I will explain my problem to the best of my ability and if someone knows of a post that will help feel free to send me there, however I have had no luck so far. So here we go 

I'm Running a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows Vista SP1 to the best of my knowledge.( tried to take to SP2 via Windows update but there were problems during installation and windows reverted back)

My Problem is that when I boot windows starts normally bringing me to the log in screen Prompting for my password. I type my password in and windows continues to boot. When I get to my desktop everything seems to be fine and will open applications and can even jump on the internet for about 30 seconds. Then all at once it seems to freeze. I still have control of the mouse and keyboard functions such as caps lock, num lock, and FN key brightness adjustments but that is the extent of it. I can't open anything or close anything that may have been previously opened. On occasion I can get desktop icons to pop when I scroll over them but can't open them. I must hard shut down to turn off. Upon reboot half the time I get a normal start up with a promt of Start windows normally, and the other half of the time windows wants to check the disk for consistency which upon Completion restart and says that there is no bootable drive. That is about all the information I have at the moment.

Some of the things that I have tried to rectify the problem are as follows :

1. Start in Safe Mode(all types) - This results in System getting hung up at crcdisk.sys. I read previous post with a similar issue the person was advised to start in cmd prompt and run bootrec /fixmbr which resulted in bootrec is not recognized as command.

2. Run Recovery from start up disk -  Repair tools runs through says it's completed and must restart to fix problems and no change after restart.

3. Attempt to Restore - Restore wizard says there are no previous restore points ( which I know i created while updating windows)

That is about the extent of my knowledge for fixing , or what I have read from other post that seem to be applicable to my situation. So any help would be greatly appreciated I would really hate to have to full clear the HD and start fresh.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

tried to take to SP2 via Windows update but there were problems during installation and windows reverted back

How did you try to install the SP2?

You can download a ISO file, burn this to a CD and install it.  Download Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone DVD ISO (KB948465) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bbaird

Bbaird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Windows prompted me to install SP2 from the windows update application. At this point due to the computer locking up shortly after the desktop becomes available I can't access the Computer long enough to install even with the SP2 iso on a cd.

#4 Bbaird

Bbaird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

If any one may have some ideas but need some further clarification please just ask i'll respond asap. Thanks again

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

In your first post you write about running recovery from the startup disc.  If this is the installation disc try doing a repair installation, you can find instructions for this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users