Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can Allow User To Change But Not Delete File On Network Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tudordoc

Tudordoc

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:21 AM

I have a database on a Network drive where I work. I am the "owner" of the drive and the subfolders so can change permissions. It seems that even if I set the permissions to modify rather than "full" the user can still delete it. I have tried setting the permission in "advanced" settings to not allow "delete" but the file can still be deleted if it can be changed it seems How do I set the permissions to allow people to put data into the database but stop anyone accidnetally deleting the file?

Thanks in advance

TudorDoc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

Have you set the files to Read Only?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

ya, that way they should be able to DL the file, modify it on their computer, and copy it (providing they have permission) back to the remote location
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

I just thought of this but if you set the permissions and stuff but you log in as an admin to test it out wouldn't you have full acess...

You never know sometimes it's the silliest things that make genious confused...

#5 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:58 PM

Have you set the files to Read Only?

If I set the file to read-only then wouldn't this prevent users modifying the database. The idea is to have a database of patients that can be accessed and updated by many users

TudorDoc

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

But you don't want them to delete them?? Well one idea that I can think of is if you make a backup of the drive so even if someone deletes something you still have a copy somewhere else...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users