Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Cannnot Install Any Programs Online

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joybaisden

Joybaisden

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hello,

I am visitnig my parents for a week and noticed that my mother's computer was behaving strangly.  Pages crash, pages freeze, and very slow to operate overall.  I tried to download a few programs to help correct it but found that I cannot download ANY programs!  I cannot download anything- I cannot even update Internet Explorer. 

I will only be here for a little over a week and then.  Can someone get us started in the right direction for a fix?  It would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Joy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hello :welcome: to BleepingComputer. 

By "cannot download ANY programs" do you mean the download won't start or it shows an error message or something else? Does she have an anti-virus? Has it been scanned for malware recently? 

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Joybaisden

Joybaisden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hi,

I will try to explain this the best I can:  For instance, yesterday I tried to download and install CCleaner.  I could install the set up files, but could not install the program.  I also could not install Adaware or the Short Cut Cleaner. 

My mother has Norton's installed and I have ran it twice.  It has found no prolems. 

#4 Joybaisden

Joybaisden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I apologize, to answer your question better- when I tr to install the program, nothing happens.  No error screen, no error message.  Nothing.  The install just disappears. 

#5 Joybaisden

Joybaisden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

No one can help?

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hello Joy, sorry for the delay!

I have moved this topic to the Am I Infected forum so that we can check for malware as a cause of your issues.

You mention that you can't install programs, but you can download them, correct?

==========

If so, let's try to run this program:

Please download Rkill by Grinler from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Please post the log it produces in your next reply.
bloopie

#7 Guppie

Guppie

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

I apologize, to answer your question better- when I tr to install the program, nothing happens.  No error screen, no error message.  Nothing.  The install just disappears. 

Do you have access to another PC that is working properly?  If you can't run anything you download, there are some utilities that allow you to create a bootable CD on your other computer, like Windows Defender Offline, that you then use to start up your infected machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users