Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doesn't recognize hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darel

Darel

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Not sure if this is an "internal" or an "external" (more like internal-made-external) but here goes.

I had a computer that died a couple years ago.  I had two hard drives installed in it.  I just bought a Coolgear HDD to USB adapter module and on drive #1 (Seagate 120GB 3.5" IDE) it worked great!  As soon as I plugged it in and turned it on, a window popped open and the drive showed up just like any other and I could access everything with full functionality.  It was great, I got back a bunch of files I thought were lost for good.

On drive #2 (Maxtor 40GB 3.5" IDE) when I turn the module on, the drive spins up and doesn't make any problematic noises (nothing to tell me the drive doesn't work) but nothing happens.  It never shows up on the computer.  I get the feeling this drive should work but for some reason the computer isn't seeing it.  Any  ideas?  Is there any way to "ping" a specific USB port or anything like that?

I have tried putting the jumper in every possible position (except removing it entirely, it doesn't really show that as an option).

Thanks,

Darel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Assuming you are using windows 7. Click start, enter in the search disk management open (what should be the first result) and see if the drive is listed there. When you plug the drive in, does it sound like its reading? 

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Actually it's Windows 8, and the computer is new so I'm not very fluent.  Where do I go on Win8?  The drive is not listed when I bring up Computer, but with the first drive that worked, it was listed there as both F and G drives (G to access it).

The drive is definitely spinning when I power it up.  I'm not hearing any other noises other than the spinning.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Ah, well sadly I too am not very well versed in windows 8. However, the internet is: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/disk-management-windows-8.htm

Edited by computerxpds, 10 February 2013 - 05:12 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

OK, I opened it and it is showing C, D and E drives all as normal.  It is also showing two drives with no designation, I don't know if this is normal or not.  They have the little drive symbol next to them, with no name associated to them.  File system is also blank,  The Status column says "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" for one and "Healthy (EFI System Partition)" for the other.  Again, I don't know if these are supposed to be here or not.  I am not being given the option to open them.

#6 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

When I disconnect the IDE drive and refresh the disk management list it stays exactly as is, so I have to assume those two blank "drives" are not related to the drive I'm trying to open.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Most likely not.. well if disk management is not showing the drive, then that means it isn't being detected by windows. Most likely the drive is bad or something else is happening. Someone else may have an answer, but I am out of ideas. Sorry I cannot help you further.
animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 spiraling

spiraling

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Maxtor drives have been erratic and sometimes will not show/spin completely, so they 'll need quite a few tries and show up eventually at least for a session or two. The problem is that the EIDE to USB converters have a generic controller that doesn't always work with all drives - trying different one might work with this drive.

In the case of this drive I think you should try the jumper setting for "cable select", if that doesn't work try it on "master". The manual for the drive should explain the jumper options if they are not readily available on the drive.  

See if your current pc has an IDE channel (some new ones have one other have none) and see if you can plug it via IDE directly to the PC. If you don't have that option - see if you have a friend with an older PC that might help. 

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

It is also showing two drives with no designation, I don't know if this is normal or not.  They have the little drive symbol next to them, with no name associated to them.  File system is also blank,  The Status column says "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" for one and "Healthy (EFI System Partition)" for the other.  Again, I don't know if these are supposed to be here or not.  I am not being given the option to open them.

These are normal. The recovery partition contains tools and data for recovering Windows after a serious error, the EFI partition is a critical part of the boot-up process. They should be inaccessible under normal operating conditions.

Edited by Andrew, 11 February 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#10 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guys.  Spiraling, do you know of a particular brand of adapter that does work with Maxtor drives?  I'll try turning it on and off throughout the night tonight but I'm not expecting much.

#11 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

I found this one, which says it has been tested on Maxtor...this one also comes with a driver CD which mine did not. 

http://www.usbgeek.com/products/usb-2-0-to-sata-ide-cable-with-power-adapter

While I don't like throwing good money after bad, these things are surprisingly cheap.  If this one stands a better chance of reading the Maxtor drive I'll be happy to drop the $28 on it.

For what it's worth this is the one I'm using right now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VKSNS6/ref=asc_df_B009VKSNS62380525?smid=A36K7LZ3H1W18W&tag=sdcbing155-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B009VKSNS6

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users