Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 128GB not playing movies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teo_myster

teo_myster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hello everyone, i am stomped here i hope anyone can share some light please. I purchased two 128BG USB Flash drives from Ebay that came from China, so i know they are not the best quality. But this is really weird. On one of them can only play four movies, if i copy a fifth movie or more, none of them or al of the rest will not play. The other USB is the same, but that one can hold and play nine movies not more. I tried formatting them the fast way and the long way. I am lost, please someone tell me what the heck this can be.

Edited by teo_myster, 10 February 2013 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hello :welcome: to BleepingComputer!

What format are the files in? Also what application are you using to try to play them, does it show an error when you try to play it? 

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 teo_myster

teo_myster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hell and thank you for responding, my video files are MP4, .AVI or .MKV. All my videos normally play fine on all my USB's. Can if be because these new flash drives were formatted in exFAT?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

The format the drive is in, I do not believe should matter. You did not say what you were trying to play them with, or if/what the player errors with. 

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 teo_myster

teo_myster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I normally play my movies with GOM player, but also tried WMP and RealPlayer. The error i get depends on the player. With GOM player i get a codec error, but when you try to get the codec you get none. WMP you get an error that it cannot play, same with Real Player.

Edited by teo_myster, 10 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Try this http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ and remove Real Player and GOM instead.

Tekken

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

One possibility; you might have been supplied drives of smaller capacity which have had the controller modified to appear to write to capacity beyond their true size, but it just re-maps thus not triggering I/O errors, but corrupting the existing data. This type of fake drive will appear to format normally.

A clue to this could be the space occupied by the files that initially work, in comparison with increments in drive size - eg if movies occupying less than 16GB of space are fine but when you add a file that goes over that, they stop working, we could assume the drive only contains 16GB of flash RAM.

There are utilities to test for fake flash drives, but I'm not sure if they test 128GB yet, e.g. h2testw lists up to 64GB:

http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users