Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to set up a fax machine on a two line phone system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I am having trouble setting up a fax machine for a client. They have Verizon Fios internet/phone service. Originally they have a two line phones system with the second line used as a rollover number in case 1st line is busy. I connected one phone wire to the wall jack and the other to the wall jack both coming from back of the HP office jet 7600. THis allowed me to receive faxes, however the auto answer function would not work. Sending faxes was fine. On the Fax I set up with the same line as the main phone line and plugged into the 1/2 jack in the phone. The problem was the fax hijacked line #2 and calls could not rollover or come into that line. Which number would I be best to set up fax on and what configuration would work. The HP rep also said I should call ISP and get a distinct ring for faxes to co-incide with the same ring on the fax machine. Hope my post makes sense and someone has some ideas. Thanks for any tips

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Fax lines on hunt group telephone numbers are problematic from the outset. A fax machine needs a single dedicated line to avoid the hunt feature and distinctive ring which will affect line hunting(rollover).

The easiest fix to have the line hunt work as designed is to have the fax on it's own dedicated single no frills line. If thats not possible due to cost then remove hunting and have two independent lines and choose one for fax.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Site Admin,

Thanks for your reply. IN case getting a dedicated line for faxing is just not worth it with the small volume of faxes coming in.  Is there a way to get this to work while still using hunting (rollover).  When I set this up know-one could call in on the second line and the second line just got overtaken.  WE did not set up a dedicated ring for the fax which could solve some issues.  Any further suggestions would be appreciated.  

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I personally don't know of a way. Nor have I ever been successful in using a fax machine within a hunt group of telephone lines without problems.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 ObsidianGT

ObsidianGT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

We have successfully used a POTS 2-line hunt group connected to two individual fax machines for many years. We'll occasionally swap the lines as toner supplies get low or we just need to give one machine a break.

We've been looking to upgrade our setup with a dual line fax machine, such as the Panasonic UF-7200 with optional G3 Com. port.

I happened to come across this post in a Google search. I know it's been a while but hopefully this can help.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Would window fax & scan work in this case?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users