Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partioning The Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AXP

AXP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:10 AM

I apologize for the first attempt, I was tangled up in the "HOW TO POST" tutorial. I am going to clean my hard drive and install XP home. I am doing this since I received it as a gift. My computer is old (7-8 ? yo)Anyhow, I bought it used(strike one) with win 98 installed. I tried to do a clean install of win 2000 pro and would up with both systems installed. When I look at 98 the hard drive has only one "drive" the "C" drive.
I have a 20 gb WDC WD200BB-00AUA1 (credit to Belarc Advisor for this info) With Win 2000 the hard drive has TWO partitions "C" & "D", 2 gb & 18 gb roughly. FAT32 & NTFS, respectively. Almost all things i download, esp updates go to "C" drive. It is now full. With a 20 gb HD do I need to partition it with XP?
The Microsoft instructions indicate that if the HD is smaller than 32 gb to use FAT32. NTFS seems a superior product, would I be asking for trouble if I used NTFS ? I have 512 mb of RAM, 867 megahertz pentium III, ASUSTeK CUV4X-C main circut board bus speed 133 mega hertz. Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:11 AM

When you run the XP install disk it will reach a point and ask you if you want to delete the exsisting partitions. Remoe both partitions and install one NTSF partition. Then format the drive.
If you have virus' or infomation your are concerned about you can always run Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility. This will destroy all data on the drive. Be aware that such a task will task 12 to 24 hour to wipe the drive, at which time you can run the XP setup because there will be nothing to interfer with the install.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:12 AM

Before you install the new os, you will want to wipe your hdd, killdisk is freeware and does a good job.

http://www.dirfile.com/active_kill_disk__h...rive_eraser.htm

Microsoft is usaully pretty conservative in their suggestion, but I would follow their advice here, I doubt that your going to notice any difference between the two.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:30 AM

Are you trying to install a dual boot system on this drive?

You cannot do it without partitioning it and if your C drive where W2k already resides is full or almost full, and you want to keep everything, you have a significant problem.

NTFS is recommended for Win2k and XP but you are correct that MS recommends that the drive is too small to support what I understand you want to do.

The recommendation would be to install a second, much larger hd as your primary and keep the 20gig as a slave, partition the larger drive and install both op systems on the primary in two virtual partitions of more than 32 gigs each - hopefully larger as 32gigs is the minimum MS suggests.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:27 AM

You can run NTFS on a partition smaller than 32gb. As matter of fact I have a dozen computer with NTFS running W2000 Pro, two running NT4, and two running XP Pro. All have 20gb or smaller hard drives. 2, W2k computer are running with 6.4gb hard drives. These are all '97-'99 Dell with P-III and either 512mb or 768mb of RAM.
You will also have more usable space using NTFS.

#6 AXP

AXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

I do plan on using "kill disk" & have made a boot disk as per advice I found in other posts, I think I am ready to do my installation. No, I don't want a dual boot system , I need to keep it simple at this time. Would it be recommended to partition my hard drive? If so what partitions might be recommended 50:50 ; 25:75 ? Thank you all for your help and advice.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:01 AM

I do plan on using "kill disk" & have made a boot disk as per advice I found in other posts, I think I am ready to do my installation. No, I don't want a dual boot system , I need to keep it simple at this time. Would it be recommended to partition my hard drive? If so what partitions might be recommended 50:50 ; 25:75 ? Thank you all for your help and advice.

Yes and no. Yes you should have a seperate drive/partition for your data. MP3s, picture, work product, not installed programs,.. But NO I do not think you should partition this drive into to seperate partitions. It (INO) is not big enough and you will not derive real benifit. I do believe you should install a second hard drive as storage for your data. You can do this at a later date and simplily drag and drop the data from C:\ to D:\.
For now I would backup everything to CD\DVD.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:05 AM

Agreed. If it was a larger drive I would recommend two - maybe three partitions, but not one that small.

NTFS is the way to go if you can.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:21 AM

You can pick up a hard drive for about $35. Example

0 user(s) are reading this topic