Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt master file table CHKDSK aborted.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tominator

Tominator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have a Dell Dimension E310, Pentium 4, 3.2GHz, 2 GB RAM, with Windows Media Center Edition on my C drive. I also have a second Seagate Barracuda disk (1 TB) for my data which is my D drive (Data). When I boot up I get the BSOD reading - 

"Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Data.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you contine.
Windows will now check the disk.
Corrupt master file table. CHKDSK aborted." (See attached pic)

I can access the C drive through Explorer, but cannot access my D drive any more. When I try, it reads..."D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I've already ran "Seatools for DOS" and found 3 errors which it repaired. I still get the same message at boot.

I've run "TestDisk" as well and it did not help either. Apparently, my MFT mirror copy was corrupted as well. Still the same message at boot.

How can I restore the master file table for my D drive. Not just recover data to another drive (which I don't have). Please help!!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Looking at the Test Disk page...I don't believe that there is any option other than data recovery.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced_NTFS_Boot_and_MFT_Repair

Test Disk is the tool that I have seen used here (by others) for any attempts at overcoming this problem.

FWIW:  Take a look at http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150368-any-way-of-rebuilding-a-corrupt-mft/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users