Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Installing Gpu Drivers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:27 PM

My computer is still pretty new so this is the first time I've ever had to install updated drivers for my gpu. I have nvidias geforce 6100 for desktops and I've already downloaded and saved the updated drivers to my desktop, but I am not sure if I'm supposed to remove the old drivers first, then install or just to go ahead and install the new drivers even with the current ones there. I know most updates just replace the old ones at the time of installation for most applications but I just wanted check before I install new drivers.

Thanks All

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:14 AM

First off, move the downloaded drivers to C:\ . They should not be on the desktop. Second you should be able to go to the device manager and use the Update Drivers tab in the adapters information
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:35 AM

nVidia ship their drivers in an automated installation package. If you've downloaded something like 84.21_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe or similar you can install it by just double-clicking it and following the instructions it gives you.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:48 AM

Ok, Well I tried to install the 84.25 beta drivers and I'm getting a message saying that they have not been "windows logo tested" and it may damage my computer if it's not compatable with windows xp?

I have windows xp service pack 2 and I have know idea were to go from here. It says to contact the "vender" I guess that means nvidia? But it says no longer available, when I try to call.

nvidias site said this beta driver package is for windows xp and works with the geforce 6100 so what gives?
Is it because I have the service pack 2 version of windows xp?

ahhhhhhhhhh I've learned that most things in this cyberworld are not yet truley plug and play lol

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:51 AM

Here's the package I'm trying to install just incase that helps:

84.25_forceware_winxp2k_english

21.4mb total

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

Why are you trying to install beta drivers? You should be trying to install 84.21.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

Like I said this is the first time I've ever tried to do this so it's understandable if I'm doing it wrong.
All I know is this, I went to nvidia's site, clicked on download drivers, then it gives me three choices:
Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris Drivers, none of which I have
next are the Beta Drivers
last is Nvidia platform drivers which is not for me.
The only one I can choose is the beta drivers link
Then it shows the only one that I thought was meant for me,

windows xp/ 2000 32-bit
release date march 22, 2006
beta driver

Thats what I downloaded and If it's the wrong one then I don't know were to find the other version thats supposed to be the right one

Could you give me the link or show me how to find it so I'll know from now on?

#8 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

Forgot to mention that my windows service pack 2 is also a media center edition, if that makes a difference or not?

thanks

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:40 AM

Like I said this is the first time I've ever tried to do this so it's understandable if I'm doing it wrong.

Sure no problem. We all learn.

Here you can find the drivers for XP media center edition.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Why are you updating the drivers?

Are you experiencing some kind of problem?

#11 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

No not having any problems but with new drivers you can get new features that might not have been in your old drivers and if you do any online gaming you want to keep the drivers updated with the most current one

#12 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Mr. Alpha
You know the things I pointed out as to why I'm downloading new drivers seem valid to me, but
Enthusiast's question got me thinking when is it a good time to check and install updated gpu drivers? Every six months? once a month? once a year? And other than new added features on the new drivers what other good reasons are there to install new drivers?

Thanks

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:29 AM

The main reason to install new drivers is because something isn't working properly, and many take the "If it ain't' broke, don't fix it" approach. Fact is that there are seldom any new features in the driver, mostly bugfixes and support for new graphics card and programs. I am though waiting for the 84.25 drivers to come out, not because anything isn't working, but because it is supposed to help with Oblivion performance.

#14 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Well Maybe i should hold off on doing the drivers then cause IU've never had a problem yet and it seems like I have all the features that the 6100 has to offer
Live and learn thats why I'm here ;-)
Thanks to all the replies guys and take care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users