Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creative SBS A520, Sound can only be heard from one Speaker...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hey Everyone...

This is problem in a friends system.. Well his system is a pretty old one.. and he just bought a new 5.1 Speakers " Creative SBS A520" and when he connected it to the system he was able to hear sound from only one speaker.. so he asked me and i went there and checked it and ya the sound was only heard from one speaker... so i switched the the pins behind the cpu.. but still nothing changed.. so i downloaded a new driver for his system "ALC97" or something then there was a icon on the taskbar called soundman so i checked it and it has options to configure the speaker.. so i configured and set it to support 6 channel 5.1 audio, then i clicked on the speakers one by one in the soundman application..and i could hear sound from all the speaker except one speaker.. so i put that speaker to the ear and clicked on the sound test button...andd i can hear the sound faintly... but it soooo low... and then i tried
playing the song he has windows media player so the played in it... and the song plays through only one speaker.... during that sound test all speaker where working except the low sound one but when playing a song it wont.. why could this be happening???

his system spec r
Motherboard: Gigabyte K8M800-8237
Processor: Amd Athlon 64 Processor 2800+
Onboard Audio: Realtek AC '97 Audio F
Speaker: Creative SBS A520 5.1 Speakers

Hope you guys can help me... Thanks.. ^_^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

I have no idea what the pins behind the CPU are.  Are you referring to the connections on the soundcard, rear of the PC?

Which speaker was not working well?

Are you sure you had the 5 speakers connected correctly and the 3 audio cables connected correctly?  Do you have the Quickstart instructions that show the connections?

The music you played, was that originally recorded in 5.1 audio?  Was it in plain stereo?

When that music was played, which speaker worked OK?  Was the subwoofer working?

I see you did not have much luck at Tom's Hardware.  We have spies everywhere!

#3 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

I have no idea what the pins behind the CPU are.  Are you referring to the connections on the soundcard, rear of the PC?

Which speaker was not working well?

Are you sure you had the 5 speakers connected correctly and the 3 audio cables connected correctly?  Do you have the Quickstart instructions that show the connections?

The music you played, was that originally recorded in 5.1 audio?  Was it in plain stereo?

When that music was played, which speaker worked OK?  Was the subwoofer working?

I see you did not have much luck at Tom's Hardware.  We have spies everywhere!

Hey... Thanks for the reply...

The pins i was talking abt are the on-board audio connectors..

The Front Right Speaker was Not working(But i can hear the sound faintly if i put it next to my ear)

Yep.. Connected everything correctly... and all the speakers including the woofer is working except for the front right speaker...

Not sure abt that its an Mp3 file and the song is "Eminem - Lose Yourself"...

Ya when i tested the speaker using the soundman configure tool and all the speakers were working except the front right one... but when i played the song in windows media player just 2 speakers and the subwoofer was working...

Hehhe ya... i didnt get a solution there either... Poor Me.. T_T

NOTE:  "and ya i noted something the other day... When i right clicked on the soundman application which was running iin the task bar... there was a option called media play.. when i clicked it .. it opend up windows media player and when i went to library and i played a song all speakers and subwoofer except the front right  one was working... and then i closed the media played then double clicked an mp3 file and it opened up windows media player and now only 2 speaker and subwoofer were working...""

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 12:25 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

When you played the song in WMP which 2 speakers were working?

Have you tried replacing the front right speaker with one of the other speakers (temporarily) to see if the speaker is defective, or the channel is the problem.  Run the soundman configure tool.  If you now get sound out of the right front, the original speaker or its cable is defective

The Realtek(?) mixer, have you checked all the sliders for balance and volume?

Most music is plain stereo so you will typically have 2 speakers and the subwoofer active. You may have to force the sound to all speakers somewhere in the settings (in the player?).  Only DTS audio is in 5.1.  Best bet for trying 5.1 is to run a movie that is known to have 5.1 sound.

Can you explain more about the onboard connectors?  The onboard audio and its rear connectors should have been already configured when the PC was purchased.

Edit:  I don't have 5.1 speakers but my Realtek panel has a 3D demo where you can move sound around.  That would be quite handy for checking what is working.

Edited by Nanobyte, 13 February 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#5 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

i dont remember exactly but i think its the speakers labelled left and right speaker also the subwoofer they were working....

When you played the song in WMP which 2 speakers were working?

Have you tried replacing the front right speaker with one of the other speakers (temporarily) to see if the speaker is defective, or the channel is the problem.  Run the soundman configure tool.  If you now get sound out of the right front, the original speaker or its cable is defective

The Realtek(?) mixer, have you checked all the sliders for balance and volume?

Most music is plain stereo so you will typically have 2 speakers and the subwoofer active. You may have to force the sound to all speakers somewhere in the settings (in the player?).  Only DTS audio is in 5.1.  Best bet for trying 5.1 is to run a movie that is known to have 5.1 sound.

Can you explain more about the onboard connectors?  The onboard audio and its rear connectors should have been already configured when the PC was purchased.

Edit:  I don't have 5.1 speakers but my Realtek panel has a 3D demo where you can move sound around.  That would be quite handy for checking what is working.

i switched the speakers and the same result... cant hear sound from front right...

ya everything was in balance..

hmmmm.... but i played the same song in my home and it worked for me.. i have 4.1 speaker and i can hear the song in all four speaker...

i will try playing a movie and will let u know...

well the three audio connectore which r present in the motherboard coloure in green, orange and yelow.... well ya it was configured... but it didnt have a driver to run it when i checked so installed a driver...

3d Demo?? where can i find it???

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 12:24 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

i switched the speakers and the same result... cant hear sound from front right...

.......i dont remember exactly but i think its the speakers labelled left and right speaker also the subwoofer they were working....

Those two do not compute.  If the front right speaker does not work, which speakers are you referring to "left and right".  With so many speakers, you must specify exactly which ones you are talking about.

....hmmmm.... but i played the same song in my home and it worked for
me.. i have 4.1 speaker and i can hear the song in all four speaker...

What player are you using at home?  In my Realtek, I cannot see any means of selecting 2 or 4 speakers (+subwoofer) for stereo sound.  I don't know if that is automatic or selected by the player.

Are you using the front or rear panel jacks?  If you look at p22 section 10) of the User Manual pdf (I got a copy online), if you are using the front jacks you must remove jumpers 5-6 and 9-10 on the MB.

In my setup I'm using ALC888 and use the Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager which is in Control Panel.  The 3D demo I referred to is one of the tabs of that dialog.  I guess your AC97 is different.  According to the motherboard manual (right at the end p72) you may be seeing the blue Sound Effect icon.  The setup dialogs look different to mine.  According to p72, you have to uncheck the SURROUND-KIT option.  Also, if the Environment is set to "None" then it works as 2 speaker stereo.  You must select one of the options for 5.1.

The audio driver installation is covered on p45.  It's curious no driver was installed.  If you installed the latest driver for Win7 that should be fine.

I could not find a photo of the phono connections for the 5.1 audio.  The manuals seems to show:

SBA phono plugs

Lime Front

Black Rear

Orange Center/Subwoofer

Giga manual, phono sockets

Green Front

Blue Rear

Brown?  Center/Subwoofer

You will have to sort that out yourself as you can see the exact colours.

I don't know how careful you were checking the speakers with the Soundman/Windows speaker test, like putting your ear close so there is no confusion.  If you mixed up the Front (L/R) and Center/Subwoofer cables to the PC, you would have subwoofer audio playing out of the Front Right speaker which would probably be almost nothing since the small speakers don't have a good bass response.  The subwoofer audio would be diminshed too.  The Center and Front Left would be crossed but would both have a normal volume since they are both mid/treble speakers.

Edited by Nanobyte, 14 February 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#7 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hey.. sorry for the late reply.. was a bit busy...

And sorry for not explainig well about the speakers... Wel he has totally 5 speakers which are labeled along with a sub woofer.... in those speakers 2 are labeled as FR and FL.. and another 2 are labeled as R and L.. and the last one is labeled as C...

so when i play the song i can hear sounds from R and L and also the woofer... but cant hear in the rest... and so i switched the speakers like FL to L and FR to R... now FL and FR r working along with the woofer....

Normally i use foobar... but to check i used windows media player... and i could hear in all my speakers... I have in my system something called realtek HD audio manager and this helped me to assemble my speakers.. it has a option to choose whether our system is 4.1 or 5.1.. and so it was easy.. but for my friend even if i select 5.1 it didnt work...

im using the rear panel jacks(me and my firend i mean)

The surround kit is not selected when i checked... and the environment is set to none.. so i changed it to room but nothing changed.. but i think i have to check the environment again... will do it and get back to u...

well i was also thought it was weird... when i saw his sytem he didnt have a audio manager.. so i checked device manager and the basic audio driver which comes with wndows 7 was installed.. so i installed a driver...

i think the audio jacks are connected correctly as u said.. but i will check again...

welll... in tat soundman there these speaker button and when i click on one speaker lets say FR then the speaker connected in FR will make the sound... so i clicked all the speakers including the speakers and only in FR i didnt hear any sound so i placed all the speaker in which i can hear the sound i placed them in one side and then placed the one i didnt hear the sound in other side.. and then took it close to my ear and i can hear the sound...

but when i play a song in windows media player only 2 speakers and woofer r working.....

Well these r the things which i ntoed down to check when i go to his house tomorrow...

"Resetting Graphic Equalise: By opening windows media player... go to now playing and right click the plugins > graphic Equalise to reset.

Speaker Alignment: 3 pin slot = 1st is center and the otehr 2 are right speakers.. 2 Pin slot = All left speakers.

Ac 97 audio configuration and set environ ment to living room....

Rear audio jack connection: Connect the front channels to "Line Out(green)",the rear channels to "Line In (Blue)", and the Center/Subwoofer channels to "MIC In"."

will check everything and will get back to u... ^_^

.......i dont remember exactly but i think its the speakers labelled left and right speaker also the subwoofer they were working....

Those two do not compute.  If the front right speaker does not work, which speakers are you referring to "left and right".  With so many speakers, you must specify exactly which ones you are talking about.

....hmmmm.... but i played the same song in my home and it worked for
me.. i have 4.1 speaker and i can hear the song in all four speaker...

What player are you using at home?  In my Realtek, I cannot see any means of selecting 2 or 4 speakers (+subwoofer) for stereo sound.  I don't know if that is automatic or selected by the player.

Are you using the front or rear panel jacks?  If you look at p22 section 10) of the User Manual pdf (I got a copy online), if you are using the front jacks you must remove jumpers 5-6 and 9-10 on the MB.

In my setup I'm using ALC888 and use the Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager which is in Control Panel.  The 3D demo I referred to is one of the tabs of that dialog.  I guess your AC97 is different.  According to the motherboard manual (right at the end p72) you may be seeing the blue Sound Effect icon.  The setup dialogs look different to mine.  According to p72, you have to uncheck the SURROUND-KIT option.  Also, if the Environment is set to "None" then it works as 2 speaker stereo.  You must select one of the options for 5.1.

The audio driver installation is covered on p45.  It's curious no driver was installed.  If you installed the latest driver for Win7 that should be fine.

I could not find a photo of the phono connections for the 5.1 audio.  The manuals seems to show:

SBA phono plugs

Lime Front

Black Rear

Orange Center/Subwoofer

Giga manual, phono sockets

Green Front

Blue Rear

Brown?  Center/Subwoofer

You will have to sort that out yourself as you can see the exact colours.

I don't know how careful you were checking the speakers with the Soundman/Windows speaker test, like putting your ear close so there is no confusion.  If you mixed up the Front (L/R) and Center/Subwoofer cables to the PC, you would have subwoofer audio playing out of the Front Right speaker which would probably be almost nothing since the small speakers don't have a good bass response.  The subwoofer audio would be diminshed too.  The Center and Front Left would be crossed but would both have a normal volume since they are both mid/treble speakers.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 12:23 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote of complete previous post - Hamluis.

#8 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

It is getting confusing because I'm working from pdfs that are not very clear.

My PC with 5.1 has 6 phono sockets on the back, 3 of which are used for audio outputs, the others are mic, line in and digital.  Given that "you" only seem to have 3, I assume there is auto-sensing.  If you want 5.1 audio, you lose the mic and line in functions off the back.

In your last post you had another sentence referring to "....2 speakers".  Say which speakers (FR, RL, R, L, C, SW) you are talking about every time.  I can't read minds.

Whatever markings the speakers have on them, the only thing I care about at this stage is their geographical location.  If you put sound to the rear left speaker as shown in the PC, you should be listening to the speaker you have placed behind you and to the left.  Rear = behind you when sat at the PC.

You should be able to do a simple test starting with 2.0 audio.  Only plug in the lime plug to the green socket.  Remove the other 2 (black and orange).  Connect the FL and FR speakers only.  Change the audio to "2 channel".  Test the speaker locations with the soundman test. Then play music.  Check sound from both speakers and move balance full left and right to check speakers respond (balance full left = no right sound).  Do not proceed until this is working as it should.

Change audio to "6 channel".  Connect black phono to blue socket, orange phono to purple socket.  Connect C and SW speakers (both center front) to the amp.  Connect R and L speakers to the amp (and locate them rear right and rear left). Test the speaker locations with the soundman test.  If that is OK, play stero music.  As a minimum you should have audio from SW, FL and FR.  Then try any media known to have 5.1 sound.  Use the balance controls Left/Right and Front/Rear to make sure the speakers respond per the controls.

Responding to your last comments (ignore if the above procedures work):

"so i checked device manager and the basic audio driver which comes with wndows 7 was installed.. so i installed a driver..."

What driver did you install? URL of download page?

"so when i play the song i can hear sounds from R and L and also the woofer... but cant hear in the rest... and so i switched the speakers like FL to L and FR to R... now FL and FR r working along with the woofer...."
I cannot tell from that statement whether you have the speakers in the wrong places, the speakers are incorrectly plugged in the amp or the connections to the PC are incorrect.  In normal stereo, you should have sound coming from the front left and front right speakers (geographics locations) which should be FL and FR.

"Speaker Alignment: 3 pin slot = 1st is center and the otehr 2 are right speakers.. 2 Pin slot = All left speakers."

What is that referring to? Column of 3 speaker connectons and column of 2 speaker connections rear of amp?

Good luck!

Edited by Nanobyte, 14 February 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#9 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

well ya i think so too.. cuz in my home i also have only 3 audio jacks and it detects my 4.1 audio....

ahh sorry again i must have missed it.. the 2 speakers i mentioned are L and R....

Ohh okay will check the test you mentioned...

i downloaded the driver from the official site of realtek..
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=23&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

well ya the speaker alignment i was referring to is how to connect the speakers to the rear of the sub woofer...

It is getting confusing because I'm working from pdfs that are not very clear.

My PC with 5.1 has 6 phono sockets on the back, 3 of which are used for audio outputs, the others are mic, line in and digital.  Given that "you" only seem to have 3, I assume there is auto-sensing.  If you want 5.1 audio, you lose the mic and line in functions off the back.

In your last post you had another sentence referring to "....2 speakers".  Say which speakers (FR, RL, R, L, C, SW) you are talking about every time.  I can't read minds.

Whatever markings the speakers have on them, the only thing I care about at this stage is their geographical location.  If you put sound to the rear left speaker as shown in the PC, you should be listening to the speaker you have placed behind you and to the left.  Rear = behind you when sat at the PC.

You should be able to do a simple test starting with 2.0 audio.  Only plug in the lime plug to the green socket.  Remove the other 2 (black and orange).  Connect the FL and FR speakers only.  Change the audio to "2 channel".  Test the speaker locations with the soundman test. Then play music.  Check sound from both speakers and move balance full left and right to check speakers respond (balance full left = no right sound).  Do not proceed until this is working as it should.

Change audio to "6 channel".  Connect black phono to blue socket, orange phono to purple socket.  Connect C and SW speakers (both center front) to the amp.  Connect R and L speakers to the amp (and locate them rear right and rear left). Test the speaker locations with the soundman test.  If that is OK, play stero music.  As a minimum you should have audio from SW, FL and FR.  Then try any media known to have 5.1 sound.  Use the balance controls Left/Right and Front/Rear to make sure the speakers respond per the controls.

Responding to your last comments (ignore if the above procedures work):

"so i checked device manager and the basic audio driver which comes with wndows 7 was installed.. so i installed a driver..."

What driver did you install? URL of download page?

"so when i play the song i can hear sounds from R and L and also the woofer... but cant hear in the rest... and so i switched the speakers like FL to L and FR to R... now FL and FR r working along with the woofer...."
I cannot tell from that statement whether you have the speakers in the wrong places, the speakers are incorrectly plugged in the amp or the connections to the PC are incorrect.  In normal stereo, you should have sound coming from the front left and front right speakers (geographics locations) which should be FL and FR.

"Speaker Alignment: 3 pin slot = 1st is center and the otehr 2 are right speakers.. 2 Pin slot = All left speakers."

What is that referring to? Column of 3 speaker connectons and column of 2 speaker connections rear of amp?

Good luck!

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote of preceding post - Hamluis.

#10 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I did a lot of surfing to find about the stereo to all speakers issue.  Realtek's HD audio (not the AC97) has a checkbox "Speaker Fill" in Enhancements which puts stereo out to all speakers.  Not AC97 as far as I can tell.  I think "Speaker Fill" may be a setting that's available in Vista onwards so root through the Sound properties and look for Enhancements.  If you find something, don't implement until you have the system checked out and working.

#11 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I did a lot of surfing to find about the stereo to all speakers issue.  Realtek's HD audio (not the AC97) has a checkbox "Speaker Fill" in Enhancements which puts stereo out to all speakers.  Not AC97 as far as I can tell.  I think "Speaker Fill" may be a setting that's available in Vista onwards so root through the Sound properties and look for Enhancements.  If you find something, don't implement until you have the system checked out and working.

Well.. couldnt go to his home till now... probably will be goin today... oh ya i have the speaker fill option.. here is what i did... i was playing a song and then i went into setting chose speaker fill and click apply and the sound from all the speaker just increased... well i will check for something similar in his system.... ^_^

#12 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hey there... I just went to his house ... And done all that I wrote to you the other day.... And i checked the audio jacks in the rear of the CPU.. and placed them correctly... And everything else was correct.. and so I played the same song again but like always only heard in two speakers L and R... So i went into sound man settings and set the environment to living room... And then went to the audio devices by right clicking the volume icon.. and went to the speaker properties and choose speaker fill.. and then I tried playing another song and then just Ike u said in the first post.. the problem was with the song which was played... And so I played few other songs and it was working fine except for the center speaker... Actually I can hear songs throughout all speakers but in the center speaker the sound is soo low.. and then I played a few high quality movie files and was able to hear the sound in all the speakers... Except for the center one... And played the song lose yourself again and same as before it didn't work.. so The problem was with the files used...

But i don't understand two things..

1. Why does the same song lose yourself works with all
speaker in my home but not his..

2. Why is only the center speaker has low volume..

#13 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

If you are playing a plain stereo track, any typical mp3, the audio should be coming out of FR and FL not R and L (which are better called RR and RL).  If you followed my instructions, the first test with 2.0 audio should have audio coming out of FR and FL, no subwoofer or any other speaker.

Once 2.0 audio is correct, the other speakers are connected and 5.1 audio is selected, that same mp3 would now play through FR, FL and the subwoofer.  The centre speaker is typically used for audio dialog in audio visual programs so is likely to be mute.  No sound from R and L.

The difference between your setup and friend's setup is you have Realtek HD (several variations of that) and he has AC97.  I can't explain why the speaker fill does not work on AC97.  I searched the Internet and found plenty of folk advising to select Speaker Fill but I did not find anyone who had AC97 that confirmed they got it to work.  You could look yourself, google "ac97 speaker fill", no quotes.

In hearing terms, speaker fill does not do much for you.  It moves the apparent source of sound from the front, to somewhere between front and back.  The time delays and echos will give some impression of spaciousness.  It's not surround sound though.

BTW, during my investigations into WMP I tried the SRS WOW enhancement, which was quite impressive in 2.1 stereo.  Sadly, I don't like WMP and the SRS filter is $30 for general audio.

#14 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

If you are playing a plain stereo track, any typical mp3, the audio should be coming out of FR and FL not R and L (which are better called RR and RL).  If you followed my instructions, the first test with 2.0 audio should have audio coming out of FR and FL, no subwoofer or any other speaker.

Once 2.0 audio is correct, the other speakers are connected and 5.1 audio is selected, that same mp3 would now play through FR, FL and the subwoofer.  The centre speaker is typically used for audio dialog in audio visual programs so is likely to be mute.  No sound from R and L.

The difference between your setup and friend's setup is you have Realtek HD (several variations of that) and he has AC97.  I can't explain why the speaker fill does not work on AC97.  I searched the Internet and found plenty of folk advising to select Speaker Fill but I did not find anyone who had AC97 that confirmed they got it to work.  You could look yourself, google "ac97 speaker fill", no quotes.

In hearing terms, speaker fill does not do much for you.  It moves the apparent source of sound from the front, to somewhere between front and back.  The time delays and echos will give some impression of spaciousness.  It's not surround sound though.

BTW, during my investigations into WMP I tried the SRS WOW enhancement, which was quite impressive in 2.1 stereo.  Sadly, I don't like WMP and the SRS filter is $30 for general audio.

Oh well.. ya i confused myself with th L and R speakers... i did just like u said ... and as 2.1 i heard sounds from FL and FR.. and did plug in another audio jack and now i was able to hear from woofer.. and then finally the last pin and i was able to hear sounds from it all... but just for that one song the sound only came from FR and FL....

but now i understand it.. that the files quality is also needed for it to play well...

so thats y the center speaker had very low sound.. so its like a support speaker to the rest...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users