Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what stsrt up in MSCONFIG

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RcC

RcC

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Which start up should be selected in MSCONFIG Normal or Selective?

Edited by RcC, 09 February 2013 - 10:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hi -

Are you having any general operating problems, or just playing with your settings ??

What is the current MSCONFIG setting at this time ?

Thank You -

#3 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Every computer I've ever used has had "selective startup" checked by default.  Don't know why that would be.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi -

Mine (just checked them) have Normal selected as in this picture

Selective is usually set for diagnostic purposes or to remove Start-up services -

[attachment=135095:MSCONFIG.JPG]

#5 RcC

RcC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Thanks all for the comeback...

I am actually trying to find what is starting a Comodo program at boot. When I checked MSconfig I noticed that the start up selection is

selective start up. I was puzzled by this and I did change it to normal start up, which makes sense to me, but on boot up this evening I checked and it is back to selective start up. I now see that when you select normal all programs on the start up tab get a check in the box. I am not using java right now because of the reported leaks so I unchecked it and low and behold selective start up is again active.

I guess now I have to figure out how to get java and one other program off of the start up in MSconfig. I guess if I can do that the normal start up will reamin the boot choice,,,, I think.

I did read in another post that only Microsoft programs should be using MSconfig to start up at boot. I have 3 MS programs and 16 third party programs such as iTunes, Zone alarm, SUPERspayware and others. Is this ok and if not what should I do?

Edited by RcC, 11 February 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

what is starting a Comodo program at boot. < < This is usually your Firewall or Antivirus program. You want it at Startup.

Hi -

You can use Selective Startup to disable any prograns that you want to run, but not at startup.

This is done for diagnosticreasons usually

Click on the Start Orb >Type > msconfig > Click Selective > Click Services > Tick Hide All M/soft services > Untick all programs that you do not want to run at Startup > Leave your Antivirus and Firewall ticked > Then Reboot to save settings -

You can then return and tick any items you wish to run -

#7 RcC

RcC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Thanks Aussie Addict

It is the COMODO Cleaning Essentials program and I do not know what is starting it. I have had it on the computer for a long time and it never started at boot up until a few days ago and I was wondering what makes it start now. I use Norton Anti Virus and Zone Alarm for the firewall and they start up at boot.

So from your instructions I take it that it is normal for MSconfig to start other then just MS programs and having it set at selective start up is ok, right? If that is the case then I am good to go, but I still don't know what is starting COMODO but I guess that is ok anyway because it does its thing and stops. I don't think is is running in the background.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Hi -

Do you have COMODO Cleaning Essentials in Control Panel > Programs and Features ??

Look there and right click DELETE it, or is iy listed under Start > Programs ??

Have you ever installed any COMODO programs as it may have been an Add-on Extra ??

Thank You -

EDIT -

Vist here http://help.comodo.com/topic-42-1-148-830-Uninstalling-Comodo-System-Cleaner.html

Edited by noknojon, 11 February 2013 - 03:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users