Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp2 Won't Start Properly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 this is mak

this is mak

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:09 PM

hey there,

about a week ago i did a virus check with avast and had some infected files in memory of windows.
i tried to quarentine them and it wouldn't let me so i deleted them.
(don't yell at me)
ever since then all virus checks are clean but windows won't boot properly.

it gets to the logon screen fine and after i type in my password it either:
- screen stays on logging you in & i need to force shutdown
- music plays but screen stays blue & need to force shutdown
- windows loads but there are no icons on my desktop & i can't do anything
but force shutdown
- windows loads but not all the start up programs do and when i try to click
on a program or the start menu the screen freezes.
- and then sometimes it just loads normally

when i start it in safe mode its fine.
when i do a system restore to an earlier point it is fine 90% of the time so thats how
i've been starting the computer every time but its driving me nuts!

please please help.... thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by this is mak, 31 March 2006 - 10:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

Once you do a system restore it works and then messes up again?

You are probably still infected.

Do you have an earlier restore date?

If you do, try the oldest one available. We need to see if we can get back to before the system became infected.

If that doesn't work:

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum, here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions run a log, and post it in following HJT forum,
at this link. Include a brief description of your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and the problem you are experiencing.)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not as yet attempt to fix anything by yourself using Hijack This as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your op system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users