Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AARGGG! Laptop screen won't display nothing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hi!

Yaah, so I have my friends laptop that he gave to me because it's broken. I have no computer repair experience (only opening up a desktop and looking "under the hood") or diagnosing a computer so hopefully someone can help me fix my first laptop since I really want some experience! 

​So my friends laptop is an HP with an AMD CPU and runs on Windows Vista. That's all I know so far, but the screen will simply not display anything. Well actually it displays the "HP" logo for like 2 seconds when I boot up the laptop. All the lights are on and nothing beeps and the fans are running. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the screen itself but since the screen displays for like a few seconds it should be something in the laptop right? I hope lol I won't be around the broken laptop for a few days so I hope I can get as much info and diagnosis! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Well, given that the screen is displaying the HP logo, it probably isn't the screen - that's the good news !

Along with the HP logo is there text saying things like 'Press 'Del' for BIOS, F8 for boot menu' ?  If there is, try and catch it when it is showing the HP screen and press the 'Delete' key a couple of times during this two seconds. This should bring up the BIOS screen. If it does, check the boot sequence. Probably the best arrangement is 'First boot device - CD/DVD', 'Second boot device - Hard Drive'. If something else is listed as the first boot device, this can stop a computer booting altogether. Follow the on-screen instructions to change the device sequence if necessary and re-boot.

If the boot device sequence is correct, re-boot and press the F8 key while the HP screen is showing, if this brings up the boot menu, then, first off, try the choice 'Start Windows normally'. If that works, you have probably fixed the computer and your friend will think you are a genius. If it doesn't, and you can get to the boot choice menu, then try 'Start in Safe Mode with networking'. If it will start in Safe Mode, let it start fully, then choose 'Restart' and see if it will start up normally.

If it will not start in Safe Mode, then choose the 'Windows repair' option and let it cycle through this. Again, if it fixes the problem, great. If it doesn't, then try the 'System Restore' option.

System restore restores the operating system to an earlier point in time, hopefully one where the computer worked. You will normally be presented with a list of existing restore points and you can choose whichever you like.I would suggest using a recent one first - if it doesn't work, you can try an older one next.

If this doesn't work - and it doesn't always - you are probably going to have to get drastic. If your friend still has the original Vista install disc, you can try doing a repair install. Start up the laptop so you have power on it, open the CD/DVD drive, put the install disc in, and restart it. It should boot from the CD. When it soes, you should come to a screen which asks if you wish to install Vista or repair it. Choose the 'Repair' option, and again, let it do its thing. If this doesn't work, there may be only two options open to you.

The first is to restore from a recovery partition, if there is one. This is a repair option you will be offered somewhere along the way, but BE AWARE this will almost certainly wipe the hard drive clean of all data and applications. The second option is just to do a re-install of either Vista or Win 7, but this is also likely to wipe the hard drive in the process.

One other point that may be worth checking - make sure that the hard drive is properly settled in its mounting. If necessary, turn the laptop upside down, undo the screws securing the hard drive cover and and screws securing the drive itself, take it out and put it back into its connector, then replace all the screws.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Ok cool, I won't be around the laptop till tomorrow or monday so I will definitely try it out. As far as the bringing up the BIOS screen, im not sure if I had the chance to see the  "press del" and etc on it. To be more precise, instead of a little exaggerated lol, the HP will show up for barley under a second. I mention that because two seconds is actually a big difference compared to barley a second. I only turned it on twice but I can probably quickly see it if I pay attention. I'll try and press del many time when the logo shows up. Thanks for the tips man.

Oh and P.S. 

I never physically took out a Hard drive... or any sort of hardware before. Must i always be grounded when touch anything?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

It's always a good idea to ground yourself before playing around inside a computer - or any other electronic equipment for that matter. This does not mean a ground wire running from your wrist. It is sufficient to touch a part of the metal frame of the equipment for a second or so. the reason for this is that any equipment which has been recently mains powered will be at ground potential. The human body, depending on atmospheric and environmental conditions, can hold a charge of several thousand volts. Most semi-conductors are designed to operate at between about 3V and 24V.'Nuff said ?

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users