Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-up Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dozzer

Dozzer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hey all, new here. Anyway

I have a computer that i think might have a problem =P. Its been down for a long time and i am running into so many dead ends with it. I can't remember if it has any service packs but i know it has XP professional on it. The problem is, when i start the computer, it boots like it normally would, however when the users log in screen comes up, all it says is "welcome to windows" and then it freezes there. No user pictures come up or anything, it just freezes before anything can happen. Any suggestions on fixing this? I have some very important information on the computer and formatting is my last option, but i don't even want to think about doing that. So any suggestions? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

Have you tried logging in via safe mode? If not, I would try that, then making back-ups of your data incase you need to do reformat it. First though, try logging into safe-mode and let us know what happens.

Edited by Jesse Bassett, 31 March 2006 - 09:24 PM.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:50 AM

If you can't boot into safe mode do you have either a Windows XP CD or a Restore CD?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:55 AM

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

however when the users log in screen comes up, all it says is "welcome to windows" and then it freezes there.

At that point, press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice. If you're lucky, you'll get the classic logon screen from there and should be able to continue. Give it a few secs.
If nothing happens or your keyboard appears dead, restart your system using the F8 key.
If you see an error message saying system restart has been paused, select "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" from the list of choices. This only happens when you use hibernation mode.

#6 Dozzer

Dozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

If you can't boot into safe mode do you have either a Windows XP CD or a Restore CD?

Ive tried to use the windows xp disk to fix the run, incase a file was deleted that require windows to boot properly, no change.

You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive.

That would be all well and good, if i had another tower that could actually run two hard drives. The only other tower that i own, only has about 56mb of ram.

At that point, press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice. If you're lucky, you'll get the classic logon screen from there and should be able to continue. Give it a few secs.
If nothing happens or your keyboard appears dead, restart your system using the F8 key.

I tried to hit ctrl+alt+del twice, and nothing happened. The mouse still moves, but the screen doesn't change. And hitting F8 doesn't do anything. And i know the keyboard works fine because it works on all the other computers i use.

Anymore suggestions =v=*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users