Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black, Back-lit screen after Win8 logo appears

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Airacai

Airacai

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Today I decided to try out Windows 8, and found the free trial of Windows 8 Enterprise at MSDN. I used the upgrade assistant downloaded to install windows 8, and had to choose the option that deleted my previous files, since the original upgrade option was apparently not compatible with my windows. The installation started, and after the second-reboot my computer got stuck on a "getting ready" screen. It then restarted again, but this time would go into a loop where a screen would pop up saying my computer "restarted unexpectedly or has encountered an unexpected error." After clicking "OK" and the computer restarting, the Windows 8 logo with the spinning circle below appears for a few seconds, then my screen turns black (completely black), and then goes to being back-lit, but still being black. I can't put the CD in to try to re-install windows, since this was a digital download. I also read on other topics that putting the computer to sleep and then waking it up again will fix this, but I can't put the computer to sleep when I have no interface to work with. I thought this might be a result of my graphics card, so I reverted to the onboard car through the BIOS with no luck. I've tried booting in safe mode with no luck, and can only seem to get into the BIOS. 

Computer: HP Pavilion P6000 series 
New Graphics Card: Radeon Core HD 6670 
Old: ATI Radeon HD 4200 
I can try to provide additional information if needed, going to find the box the computer right now.

After searching around these forums I've tried going in System Recovery by pressing F11 at startup and get the following: 

Recovery 

Your PC couldn't turn off properly 
The operating system on your PC failed to turn off properly and needs to be repaired. 
Error Code: 0xc0000001 
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer. 

Press Enter to try again 
press F8 for Startup Settings

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikeybikes

mikeybikes

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Do you have restore CDs to go back to the original OS? If so, that's where I'd start, then you could try the installation again.

Also, somewhere in the upgrade assistant, it provides the option to burn a disc or make a flash drive to boot off of. Once you get the original OS back on, create a bootable disc for Windows 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users