Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feasibility of replacing EIDE drive with VelociRaptor WD800HLFS 80GB SATA/300 10,000RPM 16MB HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Dell 8250 with no sata connectors. Was going to replace stock WD1200JB with a VelociRaptor WD800HLFS 80GB SATA/300 10,000RPM 16MB HD. Since I saw no sata connectors, ebay has an adapter "kit" for under $11... Is it worth the aggravation or is this an easy do?? Will I get a noticable speed boost? I was going to keep this very low buck since it's an OLD TIMER, so I'm not interested in any +$100 Hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

IMO...with the exception of replacing with a SSD...there is no particular speed gain for Windows by replacing hard drives.

I replaced all my PATA/EIDE drives with SATA drives...simply because PATA drives and connectors were going away and the prices for SATA drives are simply cheaper now than those for PATA drives (items not carried in vendor inventories routinely result in higher pricing).

I replaced my SATA boot drives drives with SSDs...simply because I was curious and I don't believe in ignoring the possibility that Windows may perform faster/better on the newer drives...and I feel that SSDs will eventually replace PATA/SATA hard drives as the prices come down and the capacities increase.

That's how it was with SATA/PATA and I expect the same for SSD/hard drives.

IMO...the quick fix for a slow system ..is to maximize the RAM installed...but this won't overcome issues that have nothing to do with a system perfoming up to its expected capabilities.  It won't overcome limitations of the motherboard/CPU.

Simply put...newer components tend to outperform their older counterparts and nothing will overcome that.

But...take a look at Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

A PATA hdd has a maximum transfer speed of 100 MB/s, a SATA hdd has a maximum transfer rate of 4.8GB/s (600 MB/s.

If you had a motherboard which would have SATA capabilities you could have that kind of transfer rate, but using a IDE to SATA adaptor means that you will be limited by the IDE bus speed.

If you are serious about increasing your performance hamluis is correct in suggesting that adding RAM is the cheapest and fastest way to speed up your computer,but older RAM is more expensive.  At some point you will have to make the decision as to whether it's worth investing any more money on a computer this old or investing it in a new or newer computer which will allow you to use components manufactured after your computer was sold.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thanks guys, I'll just "Ram it".

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts