Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case Cables

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Firepaw

Firepaw

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

Well I ordered parts for a computer a few days ago and today i recieved them, and after puting my ram, cpu, and motherboard in the case i cant figure out where to put the cords that are part of the case into my motherboard. Can somebody help? This is the case and this is the mobo. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Firepaw, 31 March 2006 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

I only see power cord,a fan jumper and probably some connections for the front of case switches. Are there any marking on the cords?

Power cord

Fan & front

Fan

This is an A8N-SLI mobo layout. You should be able to determine the connections here.
Mobo image
It is page #14 if you lose your place.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

I can't open that file...

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:59 PM

The mobo file ?

Do you have Adobe Reader

http://www.download.com/3000-2378-10000062.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:56 AM

I mean these cables and the manual doesnt help me figure out were the cords go into the mobo.
Posted Image

Edited by Firepaw, 01 April 2006 - 12:57 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

Those cables go to the front panel of the case. Power switches, lights and they should have some letters on them, what are they.. You still cannot open the mobo image to see pages 38, 37 & 36 ?

#7 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:28 AM

No that came with my mobo. The cables are labeled HDD LED, VCC USB2- USB2+ GND, VCC USB1- USB1+ GND and one isnt labeled.

Edited by Firepaw, 01 April 2006 - 01:28 AM.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:26 AM

HDD LED goes the same place as the SPEAKER, POWER SW, RESET and POWER LED. Sometimes it is also called IDE LED.

The USB cables go to any onboard USB connectors you may have.

You should be able to find it all in the motherboards manual.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

The motherboard manual should have a diagram showing which pins are for what. Generally, if you plug the LED for the hard disk into the correct plugs but it doesn't light, you may have the polarity backwards, so switch them around and see if that works. There should be pins to plug the Power Switch, Reset Switch, HDD light, Power Light, and so on. USB usually has a missing pin on the plug so you can plug it correctly.

#10 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

The only one i couldnt find was that usb one. Its a group of 3 cords 2 the same size that say that usb thing and one small one that says GND.

#11 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

I hear what you're saying - most importantly, make sure you connect the SPEAKER, POWER SW, RESET, HDD LED and POWER LED firstly (like Mr Alpha said), coz they are the important ones.
I had the same dramas with my Gigabyte MB. The USB cables for the front panel are broken down into each separate connection pin(s).
Go to page 1-24 (Chapter 1) (or Page 34 of 88). The three blue connectors (without the shroud) identified in the diagram are your USB connections. The one with the shroud is your Com port. Now in the diagram (to the right) it shows what each pin means for example :

USB+5V, USB+5V, USB_P7-, USB_P8-, USB_P7+, USB_P8+, GND, GND and NC.

For the connections you have from the case front panel to these connections, it equates as follows:

VCC = USB+5V (Doesn't matter which)
USB2- = USB_P8-
USB2+ = USB_P8+
USB1- = USB_7-
USB1+ = USB_7+
GND = GND (Doesn't matter which)

The 1 and 2 represent each of the USB connections on the front panel (am I right that there is two USB holes?) so they have just broken the plugs down. It is fiddley, but all you need to do is plug each one onto the correct pin (as above)

Good luck, and I hope that helps....

Justin
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users