Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elitewarrior

elitewarrior

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hi guys. I currently have a laptop with a failing hard drive. Too many bad sectors causing all sorts of trouble. I need a 2.5 SATA HDD to replace my current one, WD6400BEVT.

I have narrowed it down to WD7500BPKT (WD Black 750GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Hard Disk) and ST95005620AS (Seagate momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" Solid State Hybrid Drive).

At the moment I can get the WD one for 85 and the Seagate one for 65 because of a sale.

My current 640GB HDD has a windows partition, which is formatted once every couple of months, and the rest of the space is allocated to a second, storage, partition. Everything is installed to the windows partition so nothing extremely intense is run off the storage partition but it does get used a lot.

The WD one is 7200RPM and 750GB meaning it's an upgrade to space and speed, while the Seagate one is 7200RPM hybrid SSD but only 500GB.

My dilemma is that I want both speed and space. I have almost filled my current drive so a space downgrade is a huge negative. So my question is that is the Seagate one fast enough to cover for this negative? Apart from browsing and watching movies, the only resource intensive application I use, is a game. The game (League Of Legends) loads the SAME map every new game and goes back to a lobby at the end of a game. Obviously faster loading times would be awesome but the HDD's wouldn't effect in game performance, which is the important part. I also torrent a lot and the laptop is on for around 16 hours a day. It gets quite hot during gaming and any other CPU intensive activities.

So which do you guys recommend?

P.s. Just how much of a boost is the speed from the solid state hybrid drive? The benchmarks are impressive but I'm much more interested in real world performance.

Edited by elitewarrior, 09 February 2013 - 02:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

Booting into Windows would be faster and opening programs would also be faster.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

If it was me, I would probably go for the WD since it is both larger and faster. You said you want both speed and space improvements, that one is the only one of the 2 choices that fits that bill. In my experience the western digis last a bit longer than the seagates as well. They seem to be more tolerant to the heat a laptop can create under heavy use.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 01:38 PM.
PM sent re sig - Hamluis.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users