Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have lost WinXP accessories: paint, calculator, games, etc.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

My Dell Latitude D610 came back from the fixit guy after virus troubles, with all of the games, paint, & calculator missing.  I have spent an hour hunting around on Google for this.  There seem to be a zillion pages addressing the problem.  They either advise something so techy it's incomprehensible, or they recommend Add/remove programs --> windows components --> accessories & utilities, etc.  I have tried that.  It wants the XP SP2 disc, which I do not have.  I found a recommendation to use the i386 file; I searched & found at least half a dozen files labelled i386.  I tried opening one or 2 but it still didn't work.  The installation wizard seems to be looking for something called "spider".  I have also tried individually installing just the calculator & paint, & I have the same problem.
Another page referred me to the AccRestore v.2.0 page; I ran that & it restored shortcuts to the start menu but not the actual programs.  Now, when I click on one of the shortcuts it says it can't find, for example, calc.exe.

Everything else is ok.  I would rather not have to call fixit-guy again; he's a very poor communicator & frustrating to deal with.
Can anyone tell me in some simple non-techy terms, a step by step method of getting these back?  Can I download them somewhere?  Or, step by step, what to copy from our other XP puter?

Thanks!

Edited by Alliecat, 08 February 2013 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Try this, it's a legal ISO file of for XP.  Remember that you will want the exact same version as what is installed, eg XP Home, XP Pro,...  As I recall they have them with SP3.

XP ISO files

Edited by dc3, 08 February 2013 - 09:26 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

If it was due to virus attack,did you try running UNHIDE tool by Grinler

Press Windows+R key and type

%temp% and click ok

Do you have a folder called SMTMP ?

#4 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

If it was due to virus attack,did you try running UNHIDE tool by Grinler

Press Windows+R key and type

%temp% and click ok

Do you have a folder called SMTMP ?

Nope, I do not.

I have an XP desktop.  I am wondering if I can copy the files from it...?

Would I have to do each missing item individually, or there is some nice "accessories" folder that contains them all?  Can I copy from the location on the XP desktop, put them into the same file on the laptop, & have that work without messing anything up?

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I have an XP desktop.  I am wondering if I can copy the files from it...?

That should work

#6 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Well, in case anyone else happens across this thread hoping to fix the same problem... here is what I finally managed to figure out with some trial and error and Google.

I had previously used this:  http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm ..., which restored the shortcuts on the menu, but the programs were still not there, so the shortcuts didn't lead anywhere.  The icons did help identify which were missing though.

So...

If your accessories are still missing after running the above restore program, & you have access to another computer with XP...

Make a list of what's missing on computer A.

Find each item on computer B: go to start menu --> all programs -->  accessories --> right-click on the item that's missing on computer A --> properties --> find target.

It will open the folder where the accessory program lives & highlight it.  Make a note of the file path, by clicking the up-folder icon if you need to.  e.g. C/Windows/Program files/Windows NT; or C/Windows/System 32.

Copy the accessory program to a USB drive.  (right click, drag, choose "copy"; make sure you aren't "moving" or you'll lose it off computer B.)

Go to computer A, open the folder which mirrors where you got the accessories from; e.g. Calculator came from C/Windows/System 32.

Copy the accessory from the USB into that folder.

Now the missing-application icons should show the proper symbols, e.g. calculator, paint, etc.

Try opening each from the menu to see that they work.

I had to copy the games which were also lost.  Same process, but in that case, they didn't show up in the 'games' folder on the start menu & had to be put there.  Once they were copied into the proper folders, I had to right click --> pin to start menu.  Then go to start menu, drag the pinned icon over to the games folder, rename it from "shortcut to..." to its proper name & then unpin the original icon from the start menu.

I "think" all of this has restored my accessories & games.

This is the sort of step-by-step explanation I was hoping to find so I'm posting it in hopes it will save someone else some time.

#7 LynneInNY

LynneInNY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

I had the same problem. To this day I have no clue how it happened, but here is an easy fix that worked for me, I'm posting just in case some one else lands here by following a search engine link to this topic.

This happened on both my XP's, so I'm assuming it was some bizarre update that caused it.

Symptoms:
Accessories folder disappears from program list, folder cannot be found anywhere on the computer.

Solution:

Open Windows Explorer to: C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Start Menu\Programs

Make sure the folder options at this point are set to allow you to see hidden files.

Right click on the Accessories folder and click Properties
Uncheck the "Hidden" and "Archive boxes" and click apply.
Select the option "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files".

This should restore the Accessories to their normal state.

If you can't find the Accessorires folder in your user account, look under the ALL USERS account.

If it's not there either, then from your control panel, add a new user. You can then copy the Accessories folder from the new user account to the missing accounts, then delete the new user.

Hope this helps someone someday!

#8 Naomi-K

Naomi-K

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

LynneInNY

To be honest, I joined here just to be able to say "Thank You" to you. I was on the verge of literally climbing the wall of my house, having searched and searched and tried and tried tons of suggestions. That's for four day - 4 bleeding Days!!! Your advice is so incredibly complete, clear and bang on the money! Of all the sites I visited, non had this:

"If you can't find the Accessorires folder in your user account, look under the ALL USERS account.

If it's not there either, then from your control panel, add a new user. You can then copy the Accessories folder from the new user account to the missing accounts, then delete the new user."

That was my own case and no one except you mentioned it. Thanks to you , my problem is now solved. If you do come this way again, please know that you are very highly appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2014 - 10:45 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis

#9 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:09 AM

It sounds like there may be more than 1 issue being discussed in this thread.

In the first instance I would follow the directions here to ensure that the necessary programs are actually unpacked and installed from I386 to the appropriate directory (they are probably all in %windir%/system32 which for most will be C:\Windows\System32)..

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891893

As far as I can recall, the Accessories folder just contains shortcuts to the programs so presumably the Add User just generates or copies those shortcuts.

When installing something, often you get asked if you want to make this program available to all users on this machine or just the current user. I don't recall this dialog from installing Windows components (maybe I forget) so perhaps this has something to do with some of the other issues discussed here.

More info here : http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admintools.htm

Steve O.

Edited by SteveOC, 04 January 2014 - 06:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users