Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't save files to drives after installing windows 8 ?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Focus123

Focus123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi guys, the advice on this site is second to none and I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction with my current problem.

Basically I was running windows 7 x64 on my C: drive and I had 2 seperate hard drives installed as in D: and E: as storage. Now over the past day or so I done a fresh install of Windows 8, obviously on my C:, windows 8 enterprise x64 to be precise. Now when I try save any files to my D: or E: I get access denied - please contact your administrator......

This is very frustrating as even if I use a program live convertxtodvd to save to the particular drive it comes back with an error, basically I can't save any files to them 2 drives.

Ownership and permissions..... Yes I've right clicked the drive/properties/security/advanced/owner/change and I've changed it to my username as I'm the administrator.

I've given myself full control, I then went into 'group or user names, and clicked 'edit' and make sure my name was there and I gave myself full control there too, but still the same.... I'm literally stumped here :scratches head:

Any advice or help on this situation please ?

Cheers

Focus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Focus123

Focus123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

This is sods law to say the least but I've got it.

Basically I've enabled 2 other user accounts on this computer, 2 basic user accounts and I only gave them read privilages on the driver rather than full control. Also there was a group 'users' that I limited to read only, but when I removed this group called 'users' totally, I was able to save to the drives. I'm still unclear as to why because I had given myself full control and I was the admin,  not part of the users. Anyhow, I've got it thankfully as it was doing my head in.

Cheers guys!!

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Glad you were able to figure it out and thanks for sharing your solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users