Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Little Question...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

Just a little question about workgroups. If I set two computer on one workgroup and put two computers in another workgroup does that mean that they will have no chance to communicate with each other...

Example I could have a workgroup called Home and another one called LAB so that the house computers can only acess other house computers and the servers in the LAB can only see each other..?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

no, if that is the only difference, then you would be able to access the other computers using command line style instead of a convienient GUI. ex 2 different workgroups , to access the other nodes shared file i would go to windows explorer, and type something like this \\laptop\shared and hit enter, the "\\" denotes network computer, the "laptop" is the name of the computer, and the "shared" is the folder on the network computer that i want to access.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:14 PM

Ok Thanks just wanted to clarify that in my head. So if I want to seperate two things the best way would probably go and get two routers... or something like that.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

subnet, firewall and permissions change the settings here to save you the cash. but yup, another router would certainly do it too!!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

Yeah but it's like sex you can have all the protection but not having any is the safest way :thumbsup: like you can have all the firewalls and stuff in the world but nothing beats unplugging the cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users