Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos Expires

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trevrev

Trevrev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hello,

Over the last couples of years the company i work for has kindly let all of its employees use their anti virus on personal computers. Sadly that has come to an end.

I now need to purchase some security for myself.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good allround anti-virus that won't hog my resources.

I'm UK based if that makes any difference at all.

I've got Malwarebytes free installed on my PC, wondering whether to use the full version of that. 

It's a minefield, don't know what to use for the best.

Thanks..........Trev

Edited by Trevrev, 08 February 2013 - 08:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

There are perfectly acceptable FREE antivirus programs, e.g. Avast, Avira, AVG.

I've used Avast for years, previously paying for programs like Norton and McAfee, which did not seem to do a better job.

Malwarebytes is great for malware, but you need an antivirus program as well.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

As mentioned above those free apps are excelent. If you did want to purchase I'd go with ESET/Nod32 or Kaspersky.

MBAM is not an AV but a great compliment to one I use it and the AV,, This month you can get a lifetime MBAM license for 18.00 USD

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

If you want complete protection and not just an antivirus you may like to try the latest Comodo Internet Security version 6.0.  

It is very light on the system and you do not have to pay anything for it unless you want to add public wifi protection and remote assistance which you get as extras with the paid version.   I doubt whether you would gain any extra protection if you upgraded MBAM when you have CIS installed, as it runs any unknown exe files in a sandbox.

More information on their website:

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

James

#6 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Wow, thanks for all your help guys. I'm hearing good things about Microsoft security essentials.

Is it as good as i'm reading? Quietman7 it's in your list of free anti virus.

I'm also running Zone alarm free firewall. Is this a good choice?

I'm considering the free option, but something in my head says i need to pay to get the best.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,911 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well it's up to you .. I have been happy with Avira free AV..Malware bytes free (though I bought the license 2 years ago)  and Comodo Firewall only for 5 years.

I also keep and run Superantispyware every month.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm considering the free option, but something in my head says i need to pay to get the best.

Those who try to tell you that 'you get what you pay for' are usually trying to sell you something you don't need.

Antivirus on it's own will be fine until you come across something not yet in it's database.   If you never stray from the safe websites that is probably all you need, but these forums are full of people seeking help to remove malware although they have reputable antivirus programs operating and up to date.

James

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

If you never stray from the safe websites that is probably all you need, but these forums are full of people seeking help to remove malware although they have reputable antivirus programs operating and up to date.

Please note that there is almost as many people with Malwar problems  that have Paid Security Suites -

I have never paid for any Antivirus since I owned a computer (many years) and I had almost no problems.

With paid versions you do get extras, but many of these are not required items for your protection -

Thank You -

#10 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hi,

If you are buying a suite then I suggest Kaspersky and bitdefender

Security Essentials is fine,Its has removed a few from my pen drives.

As pointed out earlier if you follow the rules of safety you computer will be virus free most of the time.

Security essentials has failed the AV test again so,you may wanna go with Avast or Avira.

Midou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users