Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best free backup software.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Random Bob

Random Bob

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

I'm searching for a good backup software with a lot of features. I'm currently using Genie timeline and I don't think it has many features. So, which backup software do you guys recommend?

And I don't want a drive imaging software unless files of the image can be edited without restoring the backup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

For basic file backup, I use SyncBackFree

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Random Bob

Random Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Also please give a list of unique features of the back up program you suggest.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Always list the Operating System, as some relate better than others -

How many computers ?? What Make(s) of computer(s) ?? Any / all other details you can list -

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

A full list of SyncBack's features can be found here:
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

You might take a look at Macrium Reflect's free version.  Not sure what features are desireable in a backup program...but you can read about that at the Macrium website.

Louis

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

As Random Bob intimated, your choice depends on what you want to do.  Backup strategies are infinite, from immediate overwrite to once-a-month, retaining all previous versions of files, multiple backup sets, compression, password protected.......  Personally I think it's best to save all revisions of documents (some type of incremental backup) unless space is an issue; don't overwrite.  Frequent saving of what you are actually working on is an exception.

I got Dantz's Retrospect free with a WD drive.  It can do anything you can imagine but it's difficult to understand all its ins and outs.  Great, once understood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users