Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped my laptop now nothing seems to work on startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 imstjimmy

imstjimmy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Yesterday i accidentally dropped my laptop (HP Pavilion G6) and the battery fell out, it was plugged in at the time. It didnt fall from much of a height so i thought it would be ok. Upon starting it up again it came to a black screen asking if i wanted to use startup repair or start up normally. i swear i clicked on start up normally but it chose startup repair regardless. I left it overnight on the startup repair function as i heard it could take a long time for the program to run.

when i woke up this morning it was on some HP recovery program, i cant remember the exact name of it but it gave me options like system restore, system reset to factory conditions, a repair function, backing up files etc. i clicked to backup files but after it had tried doing this for several minutes of so it came up with an error message saying it couldnt be done. so i clicked on the repair function which lead me to three different options, one for repairing windows partition, one for recovery partition and one for command prompt x or something. (sorry i cant be more specific, i dont remember the precise names) but i tried all of these differDoent repairs and none of them worked, except for command prompt which opened the command window, but not knowing what to do with the command window i returned to the initial recovery programme and clicked cancel and then the option to reboot the computer. 

Upon restarting, it said there was a disk read error. So i restarted again and clicked on ESC to get other options just before the disk read error message. I probably should have looked into the various options but i stupidly didnt and clicked on system recovery which sounded like the best option. Now it has been stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen for a while and im not sure what to do.
Any help is much appreciated and im very sorry if my description lacks detail, im happy to elaborate on any point if needed.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hello imstjimmy  and Welcome -

Just to be sure that you have not done any damage > >
Please run this first Go - Programs > Accessories > Right click on Command Prompt (select Run as Admin) > Type chkdsk /r and agree to schedule a check  when the message pops up > Now  Reboot your computer -

Let the Disk Check run the full 5 stages will take about 1 hour (on average), do not stop it or turn off the computer during the check -

Thank You -

#3 imstjimmy

imstjimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Hi noknojon, It wont let me get onto the desktop to access the Go/Start menu, it goes straight to Disk Read Error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users