Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msconfig Not Found; Registry path does not exist

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PalQaz

PalQaz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Where to start? - I had been trying to breathe new life into my venerable laptop (running XP SP3) by installing Softphone software so I can (Video)chat with friends. Ran into trouble, tried to fix it myself, Google just made matters worse.

I can tell you this much;

1. Start/Run/msconfig gives error message "...Not Found..."
  2. Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE ; in my App Path, MSCONFIG.EXE does not exist
  3. My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Environmental Variables/Path/Edit ends in "Program Files\Quicktime\QTSystem\" rather than just "Program Files\"
  4. Start/Run/sfc/scannow hangs up several times with message "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache - Insert CD now (I don't have the install disk)
  5. Malware removal tools fail to install with error message as follows: CoCreateInstance failed, Code 0x80040154 Class Not Registered; further fails with message "Run-Time error '372' Failed to load control 'WebBrowser' from ieframe.dll. Your version of ieframe.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.
  6. Could not fully Uninstall certain applications. Resorted to DOS ATTRIB CMD to manually delete.

Have run or attempted to run several different free on-line products such as Windows Defender, IoBit ASC, AVG, MalwareBytes, McAfee Stinger, etc in no particular order. Sometimes they will install and other times they won't. Sometimes they show a virus being removed, usually they do not. I generally uninstall them after use so as to not conflict with other products. Additional anecdotes available upon request. My bad for not keeping a log of error messages, failures, etc, but what was done (or not done) is done.

My apologies for not adhering to the "One Post, One Problem" rule, but I figure that the more concurrent symptoms you are aware of, the more likely it is that you will recognize the scenario and know where to start.

If you have the fortitude to see this through to the end, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Download

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip

Extract and launch it ,click YES

Restart the PC.Now try to run the malware tools.It should work now.Let me know what other issues you have.

#3 PalQaz

PalQaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Have run linkfile_fix.reg as you suggested.

Checked items 1, 2 and 3 from initial posting; no changes (problem/condition still exists).

Did not attempt or check items 4 - 6.

Will attempt to run malware tools and report shortly.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

We will fix one by one

#5 PalQaz

PalQaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Very glad to report that several malware tools (MBAM, McAffee Stinger, iObit ASC, AVG) all download, install, run and uninstall properly and completely. None of these products show any malware in the system even when run on deep/complete scans. This is great news! (Is there any other specific product you would recommend I try?)

Conditions 1,2 and 3 from initial post still exist.

Have not tried Item #4 but will do so and post results shortly.

No reoccurance of Condition 5 or 6.

No other unusual symptoms to report.

Now we are getting somewhere!

What might you suggest concerning #1, 2 and 3?

Thank you!

#6 PalQaz

PalQaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Start/Run/sfc/scannow continues to hang up several times with message "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache - Insert CD now (I don't have the install disk)

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Is there any other specific product you would recommend I try?

I would recommend Avast.

1 & 2 is basically the same.Download

Msconfig.reg and launch it and click YES.You should be able to launch msconfig now.

You should better ignore sfc /scannow if you dont have any issues.

#8 PalQaz

PalQaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Conditions 1, 2, 5 and 6 from initial post appear to have been addressed successfully.

At your recommendation, I will ignore conditions 3 and 4, as they do not appear to be causing any problems.

Will obtain Avast and make it a part of my Malware toolkit.

I would consider my basic concerns satisfied, and this thread can be closed if you so agree.

Thank you so much for all your assistance!

Is there a place to leave praise / positive feedback?

PalQaz

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Feedback given here is more than enough smile.png

Safe surfing

Edited by narenxp, 09 February 2013 - 06:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users