Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Way To Delete Files With Weird Names?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rattila

Rattila

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hello Everybody:

I have tried and failed to delete a c:\windows\temp\adobe folder - and/or the 512 (545 MB)
outlandishly named files it contains - both before and after removing the Adobe Acrobat pdf reader.

I tried using Windows' Disk Cleanup, Spybot S & D's shredder, Webroot Window Washer,
and the MS-DOS 'del' command (both in a DOS window and booting in DOS).

This is annoying, as it prevents me from cleaning and defragmenting my hard drive. :thumbsup:

Do I have to erase the whole hard drive and start from scratch or is there a way?

At the end of this post, I included a screenshot of the 4 first files (with the 1st highlighted)
in MS-DOS editor, so you can see how weird these names are... :flowers:

Machine: Dell XPS 500 Mhz Pentium lll, 256 MB memory, 20 GB hard drive

Operating system: Windows 98 SE

Software: Microsoft Office 2000, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email client

Security: ZoneAlarm firewall, avast! 4 antivirus, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S & D resident
+ immunization.

Everything on my machine is kept scrupulously up to date and I run regular scans
(using Ad-Aware SE as well).

Thank you for reading this and for any suggestion.

Rattila

Attached File  Screenshot.jpg   15.25KB   13 downloads
'Is there a fix after Rattila clicks?' from Diary of a Computer Mouse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

What happens when you try to delete them? Are you getting some sort of an error message? have you tried just deleting the entire temp file?

#3 Rattila

Rattila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hi Groovicus, and thanks for showing interest.

When I try to delete the whole c:\windows\temp folder, I get this error message:

Attached File  Error_1.jpg   12.7KB   12 downloads this is legitimate, as the file in question is used by the ZoneAlarm firewall (a new one is generated each time the machine boots, ZoneAlarm uses the most recent which cannot be deleted, the older ones can).

When I try to delete the c:\windows\temp\adobe folder, I get this error message:

Attached File  Error_2.jpg   11.32KB   19 downloads I have removed Adobe Acrobat and all its related updates and files from my machine and this folder is full of garbage files.

When I try to delete any individual file from the c:\windows\temp\adobe folder, I get this error message:

Attached File  Error_3.jpg   8.61KB   12 downloads the same happens when trying to rename it.

Am I doomed to erase physically the whole drive?

Thank you for reading this post.

Best from Rattila.
:thumbsup:

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

Am I doomed to erase physically the whole drive?

No, but those are really weird names. The other weird thing is that I don't have anything at all related to Adobe in my temp files. So I am going to surmise that they probably are not supposed to be there. There are various types of malware that will pose as other applications, and this may be one of those cases. One of hte first things I would try is booting into a command prompt, and deleting the temp folder from there. Nothing will be running, so it shouldn't be a problem. If that doesn't work, let me know, and we will try something else.

After that, you might want to check in with our Hijackthis team and have them give your system a once over just to make sure that you don't have some nastiness on your computer of which you are not aware.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

I don't think it's a good idea to delete the Windows\Temp folder since it's used by running programs. Have you set your folder options to view hidden and system files? Have you tried using Safe Mode to delete the files?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

Windows will automatically recreate it, and if one is booted to a command promnpt, nothing will be running, hence it will not be a problem. As routine part of cleanups, I often recommend deletion of the temp folder.

#7 Rattila

Rattila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hello Groovicus and Herk:

Hurray! :inlove: :thumbsup: :flowers:

I booted up in DOS (command prompt) and tried to delete: it did not work with either the c:\windows\temp folder, or the c:\windows\temp\adobe subfolder, or with any of the files therein...

And I tried and tried and tried...

After a while, out of sheer frustration, I typed the command 'SCANDISK' and for each of the strangely named 512 files, it offered the option to rename it as CHCK0001, CHCK002, etc. and move it to the root directory!

So I did this 512 times, then rebooted in Windows and deleted all that garbage.

Since then, I reinstalled the Adobe Reader and all its updates and everything works just fine.

Thank you for your suggestion that I do not give up and boot in DOS, Groovicus.

Stay happy and virus free!
Best from Rattila

:trumpet:

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:13 PM

Yay! Congratulations!

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

A good result, and the correct thing to do. Filenames containing those characters (low ASCII characters, which are illegal in file names) almost certainly indicate filesystem corruption, and SCANDISK will likely sort it out.

Hopefully it will not occur again, if it keeps happening, suspect a hardware fault such as a faulty IDE data cable or a failing hard drive.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users