Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dream1

Dream1

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

This is my computer: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX/1015696R/1015696Rnv.shtml

Does Graphics Card brand matter? What about the PCI Ex16 version ex: if I buy a 3.0 PCI E card but say my PC is 1.0 PCI Ex16. (I donít know what what version PCI Ex16 I have). Will it be compatible/should I attempt to buy the same ver my PC is instead?

Are there any GPU models you'd recommend? At the minimum I'd like to play new games at 30 fps at mid/high settings, willing to spend $125-$200. I was thinking of buying something that is decent but not too high end, going for low wattage requirement that won't get hot since my other GPU fried due to overheating. I started looking at AMD 7700 and 7750.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Different companies tend to take AMD and NVidia's GPU's and release a different product, so a different brand can often mean a slightly different card, but not always.
You can find out what PCI-E you have by checking out your motherboard's specs.
You can plug a 3.0 into a 2.0 (And a 1.0, I think.), but not a regular PCI. However, 3.0 slots can withstand more data bandwidth, so if a graphics card uses a lot of the 3.0's power (Most don't yet.), then you won't see much difference. But most graphic cards these days are at least 2.0, at least that I've looked at, so don't go below that.
In terms of the x16 part... that's the number of "lanes." Basically each lane provides an input and an output. If a card says it runs on PCI-E3.0x16, and you put it into a 3.0 that runs at x8 (Check your motherboard's specs.), it'll run at roughly half-effectiveness (x4 would roughly halve it again, etc.). Some cards only use x8, some can use x4. So you have to make sure you have a motherboard that can stand what you want.

I haven't looked at the AMD 7700 or 7750, but you may want to consider the HIS Radeon HD 7950 IceQ Turbo edition. You can find it some places, if you look, for about $350.
It should last you quite awhile, as it's a powerful card. I'm not sure about the rest. Crysis 3 just came out, so you might want to check those specs and go looking for benchmark tests done with Crysis 3, to see how demanding it is. I would say if you can run Crysis 3 at 30 frames, you should be good for awhile, since Crysis games always push the limits of computers.

#3 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

My computer has

Add-in Card Slots
One PCI Express ×16 (graphics interface)
One PCI Express ×1
Two PCI conventional

I don't see how to find out what 3.0, 2.0, or 1.0 I have. I cannot spend $350.

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Your system has a PCIE X16 slot available and no need to worry about the version as it is backward compatible and the performance of the card would not be affected if placed in a older version. A 7950 will blow up the power supply or damage something as there is only a 400W power supply, so i recommend against that. The 7750 would work as it does not consume much power and the performance would depend on the games that is played and the resolution.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thank you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users