Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System won't boot (probably mobo related)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Netskimmer

Netskimmer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site but have been building my own systems for years. I haven't built any from the ground up since I built my current system in late 2007.

Here are the specs (as best as I can remember):

Gigabyte s-series mobo
Intel quad-core cpu
4Gb (4x1Gb)Corsair 6400 ram
MSI GX8800 Ultra Vid card
Win 7 64-bit

I went to boot my system after work the day before yesterday and it would get to the Gigabyte logo where it displays the keys to enter BIOS, flash, ect but the it just stops. My HDD does not spin up but the DVD-ROM will, and I cannot enter BIOS. After a few attepts to boot the system I checked the wires and re-seated the RAM and the system booted and ran fine for a few hours so I assumed it was just something loose. I went to turn it on again yesterday and the same thing happened. I tried cheking wires/RAM again with no luck. I pulled one set of RAM and tried booting, then the other, then swapped the pairs but no combination fixed the problem. I didn't install an internal PC speaker so I can't hear the POST codes if there are any.

I'm assuming its my mobo dying but I wanted some second opinions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

My HDD does not spin up but the DVD-ROM will < < What makes you think it is Not the HDD, as it will not start / spin up ??

Can you try this in another computer, or try another HDD in your sysyem to check it ??
This is inky a matter of pulling (usually) 2 wires out, and hooking them to another HDD as your first test -

Thank You -

#3 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I can dig another HDD out and hook it up when I get home to check it. I assumed it wasn't the HDD becuse th system stops responding at some point before I have the opportunity to get into BIOS or view the boot sequence. I didn't think a bad drive would disrupt that.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hi -
I was just quoting from your description where you say "HDD does not spin up" -
From there It seemed the HDD may have been a problem - How old is the HDD and have you ever run a test on it ??

Thank You -

#5 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Drive is a Western Digital WD Black, I bought it late 2010. Never tested it.

#6 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

Got home and swapped out HDD and the other drive worked fine, plugged in original HDD and it is working fine. :scratchhead: Doing a full backup now, it's been about a month since I did one so it will take a while. I will then run tests on HDD to see if it needs to be replaced or if the problem lies elsewhere. Was overdue for backup anyway. Assuming that the HDD is the problem, it seems strange to me that it would lock the system up before I could get into BIOS. Maybe during the initial test to see if any storage devices are present something is causing the system to lock up?

I guess it could just be a loose wire but I that was one of the first things I checked. I also blow/vacuum out the case about once a month and check the coolant systems for leaks and fluid level so there shouldn't be a problems there.

#7 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Completed backup and ran full diagnostic on HDD and it passed.

#8 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

PC went down again. This time swapping HDDs did not help, it failed to boot with either. I ran memtest86+ on ram and western digitals diagnostic software on HDD and both got a clean bill of health.

#9 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I THINK I'M ON TO SOMETHING! It will boot if I turn off the PSU and unplugg the power cord for a few seconds, then plugg it back in and turn PSU back on before booting.

#10 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sounds like a power supply issue.

#11 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

That was my thought as well. A new psu should be here by the end of the week. I'm not sure if I should swap it out immideately or wait to see if the other one fails.

#12 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

There's no reason you cannot check the power supply if you have access to a digital multimeter.  Plenty of guides online how to do
that.  There is a chance it could MoBo related.  You can also try booting without the HDD, you only need RAM and a video card or onboard graphics and perhaps VGA.

I don't know why the DVD drive would spin up if the HDD does not. Less load to run?

Posted this once and it did not appear, here we go again......

Edited by Nanobyte, 19 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#13 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Not sure either. I have a multimeter so I might give testing it a try, but the computer hasn't given me any trouble for a while now. If I test the psu while things are working properly it will probably pass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users