Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wish help for CPU tests

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi -
Below is my listed CPU (from Speccy) and I wanted to know if there was any tests that I can run on it
I have run the tests on my HDD and it passed the Short and Long tests without any problems, so I need to work back from there -
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40GHz: 50 C
Conroe 65nm Technology

Basically, I am having problems logging on in Normal Mode (over 95% of the time) and so I use Safe mode with Networking mostly (no problems there) -

It is a fairly well maintained XP SP3 of no particular brand, as I got it from a customer that wanted a new Windows7 unit
I installed their new computer, and they said I could have this one if I wanted it, since I maintained and serviced their problems.(mainly just Malware and cleaning)
After all the time that I have had this computer, this has been the only problem that I have ever had.
Software for Vid card and all other items is fully updated, no ( ! or ? ) in device manager at all, so I am trying to test anything I can -

It is cleaned out every 3 months or so, just cleaned old paste and re-installed Heat-sink fan, and all ran OK in general tests for a while.
I am more of a Software person, so any help with the hardware will be ideal -

Thank You -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Can you please elaborate on "having problems logging on in Normal Mode (over 95% of the time)"?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

If it boots into Safe Mode but has probems booting into normal mode it can point to a driver problem.

Have you had any BSOD?

Have you tried doing a clean boot to see if you can identify the culprit?

Here's how to run a clean boot in XP:

Click on Start and type in msconfig in the See more results box and then press Enter.

Click on the Genral tab, and then uncheck Load startup items.

Click on Services and then place a check in Hide all Microsoft services.

Press Disable all and then click on OK.

When you are prompted, reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Can you please elaborate on "having problems logging on in Normal Mode (over 95% of the time)"?

Hi Killer -

I meant that I can boot to Safe Mode at any time without any problems - F8 method -

There can be a slight distortion of the first POST screen so I know it will not boot normally. I then use Safe mode.

If I turn the computer on 95% of the time, it will not boot, (black screen), so I can shut down or use reboot button and use Safe Mode (always works), at this time I start hitting F8 -

@ Dan Have you had any BSOD? < < Not as is usually described in the forum with x0x-000xx errors < Example only

The problem is very random, and I have survived 2 days in Normal mode (never did this prior)

If I got to normal mode, it would usually only last for about 1 hour then totally freeze everything, and show a slightly distorted yellow and blue screen.

All wiring from PSU was checked and rechecked (replaced PSU about 1 year ago)

All drivers have been checked and are 100% up to date from makers sites (cheched while in Normal mode)

Secunia and all other checks show everything is fully updated or patched.

Vid card is fully updated to current drivers (my first suspect). In safe mode I have 10 vertical rows of 7 lines 1" apart.

Wierdest thing I have seen for ages, except when a PSU or Vid card fails completely !!

Might not try the clean boot while it is not playing up - Current Speccy - Been running for 4 hours -

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/APYb4OaSdnB4vKT0GDn0HZz

Thanks -

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

It looks like you have a dedicated graphics card, but you also have a integrated chip on the motherboard.  Try pulling the dedicated card and see if the integrated card makes a difference.

Another test would be to use a different monitor, or try the one being used with this computer with another.

Edited by dc3, 08 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the advice mate - I will follow it when I can (next week)

Regards -

#7 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Weellllllll ...........

I got 4 days of "normal boot and running" and then another Freeze -

Screen went a bit corrupted (as it has been) and totally froze in the middle of typing a sentance.

Try pulling the dedicated card and see if the integrated card makes a difference.<< This will be the next step -

Back in Safe mode with Networking, and everything works "reasonable", just that it is Safe mode display.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users