Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ethernet switches?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Double44

Double44

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I want to plug an Xbox 360 and laptop into an ethernet wall jack (wired connection), but there is only one port. Instead of swapping between the two, I want to buy a switch that would let me use the two simulataneously. I've found a couple Netgear switches (to match my Netgear router), but I'm really not sure which one is best for my needs.. Amazon has many switches to choose from. I want one that is powerful enough to run multiplayer gaming and fast internet (my internet runs on fiber optics), with as little sacrifice in throughput speed as possible.

I'm new to these switches and have no idea what 10/100 or 10/100/1000 means, so if anyone could educate or lead me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I tested my connection with Speedtest.net, and got a wired download speed of 31.34 and upload of 4.56 (13 ping), if any of that helps.

1. Netgear FS105 ProSafe 5-Port Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch
2. Netgear GS105 ProSafe 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch (too much?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Those are a little pricy if you are only going to be switching between two devices, see if this will do what you want.

Amazon.com: RJ45, AB 2 Way Switch Box: Electronics

Edited by dc3, 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Those are a little pricy if you are only going to be switching between two devices, see if this will do what you want.

Amazon.com: RJ45, AB 2 Way Switch Box: Electronics

Thanks for your advice, but I actually went ahead and bought the FS105 I linked above. It has worked like a charm!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users