Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fading lines on iMac screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 op684

op684

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

The person who owns and operates the iMac is a heavy smoker so I was thinking maybe that's the issue, but I want someone's expert opinion on what this could be caused by and how to fix it if possible. It doesn't affect the viewing experience, but it shouldn't be there and I am wondering if an underlying hardware issue may be the cause. It has been bought a year ago and used the same time period. Pictures are attached. Thanks for any help!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by op684, 06 February 2013 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 op684

op684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

For some reasons the images were deleted or not showing properly.  here they are again...

img0097ur.jpg
img0096kn.jpg
img0095tn.jpg
img0094vi.jpg

Edited by op684, 14 February 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Just to help some of us that can't see what you are describing, including me FWIW.

Can You take the pictures and put circles or boxes around the problem or maybe an arrow pointing to the lines?

Thanks

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 op684

op684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Labeled with red arrows

#5 op684

op684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Any help!?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'm sorry, I just don't see what you see.

I wish I could help on this one. Does the problem show when the screen is on? For example when the screen is white or some other color does the problem show better?

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 March 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

The only thing that I could think is that something is getting under the glass on the iMac screen.

I suppose you could try taking the glass off and try cleaning it.  There are many instruction guides for how to do so.  I tend to use http://www.ifixit.com/ for instruction guides when I "tinker" with my Macs.

#8 op684

op684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I guess I will try smax's suggestions of cleaning the screen.  But I wanted to know if anyone knew what could be causing this.  The person who uses this Mac smokes a lot, but I am not aware of how the the smoke could get inside the Mac's screen.  Perhaps through some USB ports or speaker openings or something.  I guess I'll have to be content with this "educated" guess lol.

rotor, what I was talking about is the grayish "cloudy rays" you see on the screen separated by the black lines of the parts of the screen that are not "clouded".  It's kinda hard to explain but if you look at the pics again I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users