Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to extend NTFS partition

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 luie620

luie620

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hey guys!

I had made a temporary FAT32 partition to use with my PS3 which I don't need anymore. I deleted the volume and tried extending my NTFS partition, which I use for backups and is running out of space. When I try to extend it, I get a message asking me if I want to convert the basic disk into a dynamic disk. I click yes. Then I get an error from the Disk Manager saying "The operation is not supported by the object."

Now I'm stuck here and don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated!

The hard drive is a Western Digital Elements 2TB USB external drive. I'm running Windows 7 64bit and using Windows Disk Management to manage my partitions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

How many partitions on the drive?  Just the one NTFS?

#3 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Initially, it was one FAT32 partition and one NTFS. Now it is one NTFS partition and a deleted volume.

The short answer is two.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Initially, it was one FAT32 partition and one NTFS. Now it is one NTFS partition and a deleted volume.

The short answer is two.

I kind of suspected that might be the case.  That rules out running up against the limit of the number of partitions or potential issues with the NTFS partition and the old partition space being non-contiguous, both of which can cause the built-in Disk Management issues.

Was the FAT32 partition the first partition on the drive?  Or was it "after" the NTFS partition?

I ask because I believe the unallocated space has to be "after" and "adjacent" to the partition you want to extend if you want to use Windows Disk Management, but I could be wrong.  If I am correct, then if the FAT32 partition was "before" the NTFS partition, then you likely cannot use the built-in function and would either have to do it "destructively" (i.e. reformat the drive) or use a third-party utility.

#5 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

You're right, the FAT32 was formatted first and then I added the NTFS partition afterwards.

I can't dump my files anywhere since I don't have a free drive with enough space.

Seeing as reformatting isn't an option now, are there any free 3rd party utilities you would recommend?

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

It has been a long time since I have needed/used a third party partition program myself.  Back in the day, I would use Partition Magic, but Symantec ultimately killed it when they bought it from PowerQuest.

I believe the main paid options these days is EaseUS' Partition Master and Paragon's Partition Manager Home.  I have never used either myself, so I don't know how good either is.  EaseUS does appear to offer a free version that might do what you need (there is a slight chance that it may not)

The other option is GParted, which is free as well.  

Keep in mind that while the above partition programs are non-destructive (i.e. should not effect your files), I would still STRONGLY suggest you back up that drive. When doing "low level" disk operations like partitioning, there is always the chance that something could go wrong.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

What you're needing to do is a "slide". Apart from the utilities already mentioned, BootIt NG has been one of the usual recommendations to use for this:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

However it's an old utility and I do not know if it handles terabyte sized drives. Also it's so long since I needed to do this, I don't know whether the other utilities have that capability, but quite possibly they do.

A slide is complex, will take a long time and as smax says, something can go wrong. Overall my feeling is it would be better to organize to temporarily transfer what backups you need to keep onto another drive and re-partition that one. (You do have those backups somewhere else too anyway don't you? Bearing in mind that a backup to a single location barely qualifies as a backup, since loss of that one drive loses your backup... :) )

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

(You do have those backups somewhere else too anyway don't you? Bearing in mind that a backup to a single location barely qualifies as a backup, since loss of that one drive loses your backup... smile.png )

Frankly, I am usually impressed when someone at least has ONE backup.  Too many people don't learn to take backing up serious until after they have lost data.  While I agree that multiple backup locations are ideal, having just a single backup location is better than nothing.  grinner.gif

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,979 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

Any backup is definitely better than none! :)

#10 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Haha! You guys are funny! Of course i have another backup!

::scrambles to buy another hard drive:: whistling.gif

I was trying to take the easy way out buuuut of course that never works.

I never made any backups until a few years ago when my hard drive fried. I did manage to get most of the stuff back but a small chunk was lost forever. Funniest part is I don't even remember what was lost. It probably wasn't important anyway!

Thanks for the advice guys.

#11 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Wait a min here...can't I just format the first empty partition to NTFS, copy the files from the second partition to the first one, delete the second volume and then extend the first partition?

Sounds like it would work in my head but I just want to be sure before I spend the rest of the day copying files. I'm also not sure if the whole dynamic disk thing would cause an issue again.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

You don't have to be limited by native Windows tools.

I'd just use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm and resize the existing volume.

Louis

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Wait a min here...can't I just format the first empty partition to NTFS, copy the files from the second partition to the first one, delete the second volume and then extend the first partition?

Sounds like it would work in my head but I just want to be sure before I spend the rest of the day copying files. I'm also not sure if the whole dynamic disk thing would cause an issue again.

In theory, yes, that should work...assuming the unallocated space is big enough for all the files on the second partition.

But, again, doing disk operations like that can potentially go screwy...so personally I would still backup the data to a secondary source it was myself.

And it might be easier just to use a third-party partition utility as it will likely be fewer steps and less time.

#14 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

You don't have to be limited by native Windows tools.

I'd just use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm and resize the existing volume.

Louis

Just used EaseUS and it worked like a charm! Of course my impatience could have bitten me hard for not backing up all of those files. Thankfully everything went smooth.

Thanks to everybody for your input!

Edited by luie620, 22 February 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,979 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

Good result!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users