Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kuhnbt

kuhnbt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hey guys,

My laptop, an emachines E725, suddenly is no longer getting power from the AC adapter. I have two adapters and neither one works so I know the problem is with the oomputer. The laptop does receive power when I press upwards on the adapter at the input to the computer, but only until I stop pressing on it. The laptop was getting power when I was at school and when I came home it was not, so this is a sudden change. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or does it need to be taken in to be repaired? The laptop's about three years old and was pretty cheap when I bought it, so I'm not sure if it's worth a hefty repair bill if that's what it will take. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hey there,

It sounds like the solder points from your charge port to your motherboard have come loose. If you feel comfortable taking the laptop apart there's a good chance that you could repair this with a solder gun. I'm not sure how much a computer shop would charge you, but if you're not comfortable taking the laptop apart it may be worth looking into.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Agreed

Your symptoms are classic for a DC in Jack problem. (Where the AC Adapter plugs in)
What has most likely happened is that the jack is soldered to the motherboard and the solder has failed. Key clue is that it works in a certain position. Less likely is that the jack is defective.

Laptops are delicate on the inside. It is very easy to break connectors on the motherboard.

In the past when I did this type of repair I replaced the DC in jack as a preventative measure.

I would guesstimate the cost at $100 to $150 for a shop to do the repair. Where we worked we charged $149 + Tax, flat rate parts and labor. What it is in your locale you will have to check. Find a local shop and not some big brick and mortar type chain store.

Also you do not have to fix it to get your data back. You can always carefully remove the hard drive and put it into a external drive case that hooks up to a USB port and thus convert it into a external hard drive.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 kuhnbt

kuhnbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hey, thanks for the responses. I googled and found some repair guides online. Unfortunately, I haven't soldered since cub scouts 15 years ago. Is this a fix you think a novice could do without screwing things up, or would you recommend taking it to a shop?

Thanks again.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Most likely the motherboard need to be removed for this repair.

The connectors for the speakers, keyboard and touchpad and others are delicate and easy to break. DO not rush. Be patient, examine them and look online to be sure how the connectors open. Some You flip up, some you move a slide, some just unplug and so on.

If the choice is attempt the repair or discard the computer then the choice is easy. If you want to be sure it still works, then I would check around to see how much the repair would cost. Then Decide considering you'll have to buy a 40 watt Approx soldering iron and solder and flux and maybe the proper size screwdrivers.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users