Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Startup Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopShrum

TopShrum

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

My son's laptop will start up and immediately go into a disk check screen. Once the check is complete it will then continue with the windows startup followed a few mintues later with an error screen and restarts. I was able to get into the safe mode last night and run an virus scan and found nothing. However, today I am unable to get back to the Safe mode after several attempts to turn the computer off and on to check what the error messages were. Is there some other way to get into the safe mode? and what can I do about this crashing problem? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

Can you tell us exactly what the error messages are?

Also, make sure the vents and air intakes on the laptop are not being blocked.

#3 TopShrum

TopShrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

Okay. I finally got the safe mode to work. When I do go into safe mode I get a laundry list of lines with " "partition" and ending with some driver listed. The latest system error I have is: Event ID: 10005 Source: DCOM Another erros is Event ID: 7026 Source: Service Control Manager Description said: The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load -- adptfat, AmdK8, Fips, SAVRTPEL, SYMTDI

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

From safe mode, try "last known good configuration".

Some of those drivers are Symantic drivers and one appears to be a partitioning ap. AmdK8 can be the processor driver or malware depending on what directory it is in.

See if you can get results using "Last known good configuration".

How long has your son been having problems with this computer and what has he done (if anything) trying to correct these problems?

If we can get you to where you can boot normally you can do some web based scans for malware and download Hijack This so you will be able to post a Hijack This log in our HJT forum to resolve malware issues.

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 March 2006 - 12:56 PM.

#5 TopShrum

TopShrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:02 PM

I tried it and it is still doing the same thing with the disk check screen, starting up with windows and and then error message and restarted. btw, the blue sreen it starts with says it is "checking file system on c: The type of the file system is FAT32". If that helps.

He has been having problems for the last 4 months. I don't think he has tried anything to fix it. This is our first attempt to fix before running it down to where we bought the computer. It is a year old. I am visiting him now and trying to help him out.

Also, I am able to get his computer into the safe mode with internet connection if that helps.

Edited by TopShrum, 31 March 2006 - 01:24 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

If you can get back into safe mode again you may want to try to use System Restore.

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

Try the oldest date you can find. Hopefully it will be one that precedes the onset of the problem.

If that doesn't work, do you have either a Windows XP installation disk or a Restore disk provided by the computer manufacturer?

#7 TopShrum

TopShrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

Okay. I was able to get to the system restore but the only date I can select is today's date.

I am not sure if he has any of those CD's since it was preloaded on his computer when we bought it.

Good news. I found his recovery cds for his computer.

I have restored the computer using the discs provided and seems to be working now. I have re-installed and updated the anti-virus software so hopefully that will help. Thanks for all the support and info, it was great.

Edited by TopShrum, 31 March 2006 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users