Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD randomly stopping and whole PC randomly freezing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hello,

I have these two problems, both very annoying. I will tell you the symptoms in hopes you can identify what part of my PC is causing all this. I can't afford to try each.

First and most frequent problem: HDD turning off and back on at random times.
It turns off and then gets back up to speed, it takes about a minute however to be able to use the computer after that (if there are apps open that require reading or writing to the HDD).
HDD Sleep is disabled, it only happens when it is used, it doesn't stop when it's idle. The most often I see it happen is when my minecraft server is active. The server is on that HDD. (I have two HDDs)
Windows is installed on the other hard drive, I didn't notice that one turning off.

I tried changing the sata ports where the HDDs are plugged in, one of them isn't working at all. And some sata ports don't even boot up my pc from the windows HDD. Which makes me think it's not an HDD problem.

The second and less frequent problem is my whole PC freezing.
I amuse myself with the joke "It freezes when it's cold" because I noticed the freezing happens more often if it's cold in my room.
Not only does it freeze but the sound card makes a static noise, like an untuned radio. I also can't reset or power it off from the buttons. All I can do is unplug it and plug it back in.

I want to fix it before things get worse, I don't want to lose my data.

Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

If it is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Do you have the hdd with the operating system configured as the first device in the boot order in the BIOS?

Is the BIOS configured to auto-detect the hdd?

Please download and install SIW. Open SIW and scroll down the menu in the left pane and locate Sensors under Hardware, click on this to open it. Please post what the voltages are showing for the +3.3V, +5V, and the +12V.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

My PC is custom built.

Motherboard: Gigabyte H55M-S2V

HDD is properly configured in BIOS, depending on which SATA port I plug it in, it may or may not be detected automatically.

Here's a screenshot from SIW:
Posted Image

Additional PSU info:
Make: Deluxe
Power: 650W

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

SIW isn't showing a reading of the +12V rail.  Look in your BIOS to see what it is showing for that rail voltage, it is listed under PC Health in my BIOS, so look for something similar.

Do you have a Voltmeter with a DC scale?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

The BIOS is showing 12V rail as 12.83V

I do have a voltmeter.

#6 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

No ideas? :(

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

See who the manufacturer is for the hdd which has the operating system on it, go to their website and download their diagnostic tool.  Hopefully they will have a download for a ISO file which you can make a bootable CD from, you will be able to boot from it and not need to worry about the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 10 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#8 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I forgot to mention I did full diagnostics on both HDDs and nothing seemed to be wrong

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

What did you use to scan the hdd?  If it wasn't the diagnostic tool from the manufacturer I would suggest trying theirs.

What else have you tried that we aren't aware of?whistling.gif

#10 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

It was the one from the manufacturers. I don't remember trying anything else. Reinstalled Windows to rule out software problems :D

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

If the manufacturer's diagnostic tool shows it to be healthy then we should assume that is the case.  This is good news and potentially bad news. 

You posted that you were having problems with some of your SATA ports, this could be failing SATA controllers.  Since you still have porst which are still working I believe it's safe to assume the you have several controllers, this is good.  These controllers are a function of the motherboard, so if they fail you will need another motherboard. 

Have you checked the data and power connections at the hdd?

#12 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I figured out the hard drive that is failing is the old one, my os is on it, I'll have to reinstall it. It was very hard to get it to boot this morning so I can back up all of my data. Whenever I move the power connector on the hard drive, that's what makes it work or not, I kept interchanging cables and now it seems to work. For how long? I don't know.

I'll get all of my components out of my motherboard and clean them of dust. The last two freezes were... "special" the second last one was like usual but without the static noise. And the one this morning made my screen look all terrible, no moving images but more like a distorted image of what was on screen when it froze, lots of diagonal lines, like a badly synced analog tv signal. And to my surprise the "restart" button worked too. It froze because I forgot the window open when I went to sleep last night and it got kinda cold in my room. Seeing it's likely to happen when it's cold, after I clean the components I'll make my room very cold to see if it happens again.

#13 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

A little update,

After cleaning it a bit it wasn't expecting it to boot, knowing the hard drive was so sensible.

I also discovered the case speaker was unplugged from the motherboard and I remember why I unplugged it. When I got the motherboard it started making beeping sounds at random and it wouldn't stop. It was a continuous beep that could go for hours. I thought it was some feature of the BIO, Energy Saving whatever thingies since I read after searching on google that it might be a config to make beeps if the power consumption is too high. Though unlikely to be such an annoying and impossible to stop beep my only option was to unplug the speaker. I didn't consider the possibility of a faulty motherboard since it was brand new. I'm waiting now to see how things go. Since morning I messed with the hard drive as much as I could, after it booted there was no way I could make it stop on purpose like it would by itself. Neither could I make the computer freeze by making the room cold. 

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

We will have to hope for the best.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users