Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP computer shut down

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 car 54

car 54

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

hello, i have a HP pavilion 05 5.1- 2600 build, when i push the start button on the front of the case,the 3 cooling fans come on for two seconds,then a green light on the back of the case goes out and the fans stop,then i hold the start button in for about 15 seconds and the green light on the back comes on again.i push start and the same thing happens again.

NOW this is where it gets weird,i can set a small floor heater next to the computer, with the side panel off so heat can get into the computer,with the inside of the computer around 95 to 100 degrees the computer will work just fine as long as the heat is on,if you take the heat away,it shuts itself down in less than a minute.

can anyone help me? i would apreciate any advice ideals or comments, thank you

i have everything (speakers,printer,internet,keyboard,mouse) disconnected ,all but the power cord and it still does the same thing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Have you run the HP diagnostics package on the system?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=sj-8527-2

Louis

#3 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

thank you for replying

i came to bleeping computer about a year and a half ago because i was having problems with windows xp pro,AustrAlien and NoKnojon helped me put a linux mint 11  OS on the computer because we could never reinstall windows xp. do i have any options?

thanks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I have one thought.

The Power supply could be defective. The Fact that the green light on the back goes off points to:

1. Bad power supply

2. Overloaded power

I have seen many HP desktops where the symptoms you describe were cleared up with a new power supply. If you can borrow a power supply for testing that should pin it down.

y best informed guess based on past experience is bad power supply. However if You buy a new one, buy it where it can be returned.

As a point of information that green light is on the output side of the power supply and I have seen HP power supplies that have gone bad where they put out power until a load is applied and then they shut down.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

thank you for replying

i have tried 2 other power cords that i have on hand.the computer does the same thing

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Your post makes this sound like a Desktop, Is that correct?

You said:

i have tried 2 other power cords that i have on hand.the computer does the same thing

That would only be valid on a laptop. Only on a laptop is the Power supply in-between the wall outlet and the computer.

When you say the Green Light on the back goes out, That light is a part of the power supply.

Did you try two other power supplies or two AC cords?

What is the exact model of the computer?

Thanks

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 February 2013 - 05:09 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

hp pavilion 5oo  05 model p9859a-aba 533w

its a dest top

i have 2 extra power cords,each one has a male end that plugs into the wall outlet,and the other end is female and plugs into the back of the computer. thank you for helping

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

What I suspected, You need to change the actual power supply, not the AC cord.I'm basing that on previous experiences. As always buy where you can return it if it doesn't help.

Make sure the replacement has the right connectors. And a few of the older HPs used a short or a small power supply. After looking your computer up I suspect Yours may one of the models with a short power supply or maybe a Micro ATX power supply so be sure to get the measurements before buying.

OK Here is the HP word on this subject 

Troubleshooting Power Supply Issues

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=90862&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph06788

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

there`s no place  around here that will take back parts that have been installed

i have been looking at the computer,i have found that when it shuts down i can hear a clicking sound from the back side of the mother board,it sounds like a relay tripping to me. but i can`t see it.the power supply and other things will have to be taken out to get the mother board out.

could a computer store run  an autopsy on the mother board?and just replace whats bad or would i have to replace the whole board?

i don`t want to spend much money on this computer. i can buy a used computer and have it shipped for $150.

thank you for all the information.i really appreciate it

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

There are online vendors that will do returns. Their policy changes depending on the product.

A Power supply for your computer should be inexpensive.

You do not repair a motherboard in most cases, You replace it.

Possibly like this, You would need to check the measurements

I'm sure amazon and Ebay and Tiger Direct have then too. Check the measurements against the one in the computer..

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

the only one i could find is $33+$12 shipping.that`s more than i want to spend on it right now.
i put in a bid for a used one.it will take a couple of days to find out if i win the bid.i will let you know what happens in a few days.
i want to thank you for the time and trouble you have had helping me, i really appreciate it

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hello again - welcome.gif

Power supply to suit your computer -

Newegg = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153165 $39.00 (free Shipping)

#13 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

hello my friend
thank you for replying but i don`t think that one will work.
i think this is the one i need.Bestec ATX-1956D HP PN: 0950-4106 200W Power Supply.

if i could just be sure this is the problem i would spend 30 dollars on it
i was on the verge of contacting you and AustrAlien to see if you could help me put windows xp back on the computer because i never could get linux mint to work right,when this problem came up.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

The one I suggested was $22 + $4 shipping and is the same form factor from what I can see.

Standard Return Policy

• Return for refund within: 30 days
  • Return for replacement within: 30 days
  • Restocking Fee: Yes

This is our Standard Return Policy. Items covered by this policy (those products for which Newegg states "This item may be returned for a replacement or refund within 30 days only") must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

You would have to ask how much the restock fee is of course.

From user reviews

Pros: Same size as HP OEM psu. Fits in old, small HP case that
doesn't have room for regular atx psu. Runs quietly. Enough (4) molex
connectors.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 February 2013 - 09:27 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#15 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

thank you for the information
i had compared the one you suggested with mine,the measurements were a little different and the input and output voltage were a little different. and mine says +5v&+12v total output can`t exceed 163w.
i don`t know how critical it is to match up the numbers exactly.
if you think it will work ok without frying anything i will go ahead and order one
thank you for helping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users