Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wildone

Wildone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:19 AM

I downloaded the Norton removal tool from the Symantec website.
Followed the directions and restarted my computer.
It wouldn't start and I had to reboot it couple of times before it worked.
Something strange had happened, none of my devices were showing up. I checked "Device Manager" and was shocked to find nothing in the box! Every single device had disappeared!
This is why I couldn't connect or play any sounds, or do anything.
I then tried transferring my data (all my storys, poems etc) to my CD writer. But the computer didn't recognise that either.
So I rebuilt my "old" computer and connected to the internet.
And here I am!
Very angry!
I tried ringing Symantec, but got stupid answering machine that wasn't much help. I emailed them instead and they replied that "I" must have downloaded a piece of software that wasn't compatible to Norton.
I have just sent off another email, but as it contains strong langauge that I'd rather not repeat it on here.
So now I'm stuck. I can't remove my data from my computer, Wish I had "backed up" more often, but then I didn't think "Norton" would crash my pc. Used "Norton" on Windows 98 few years ago and had no problems.
Now I have completely lost faith in Norton and will never use them again.

Please, I need help recovering my data, took a long time writing my books. If I lose "all" my writing I will most probably end up hanging myself. :thumbsup:
No matter what make you ride, itís all the same wind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:46 AM

The easiest way to recover the data is to physically remove the hard drive that's in the affected computer and connect it to another computer as a slave drive (make sure you reset the jumper as per the diagram on the hard drive).

You should then be able to move the data to either that computer's hard drive, an external drive, cds or dvds, etc.

Once saving your data completed, reinstall your original hard drive as master in your computer, (setting the jumper again accordingly) reformat and reinstall XP if you have the Windows XP installation cd or use a Restore cd that may have come with the computer.

If you did not get any disks with your computer when it was new, there may be a restore partition which is accessed before Windows starts.
Boot the computer and look for instructions on the bottom of the screen - again - BEFORE Windows starts.

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 March 2006 - 09:47 AM.

#3 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

or you could click start>run> type 'msconfig'>click services> make sure all of your services are enabled.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:41 AM

If you can get msconfig to open, try launching System Restore from there and choosing a date before you downloaded Norton.

Recommendation -

Instead of Norton, which seems to be problematic and a resource hog -

Download AVG (freeware) which will do an excellent job.

AVG:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users