Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my monitor goes black every 20 min for about 1 sec :(

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 flise

flise

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

hey
I just buid myself a new PC,
i7 3930k, gtx 680 4gb, asus x79 pro, noctua nh d14 2011, 700w modular enermax thiathor etc..

it was the first pc i have build by myslef and everything went fine until i realised that even after installing drivers for my graphics card, my monitor still goes black after every about 20 min, for 1-2 sec! It really worries me now, after few days not being able to fix it. it's kinda like alt tabbing a game, same thing with the monitor, about 1-2 sec black screen, without any other ''special effects'' ... oh, and also, (not every time tho) from the PC case i can hear the same ''click'' as you hear while restarting your PC... I guess it could be from the power supply (the sound) ?
I changed the cable from hdmi - hdmi to dvi - hdmi better quality cable (at least it looks better quality) but it didnt fix the problem...
I am planning to change the cable that connects power supply with graphics card and put it into a different plug on power supply (there are 3 plugs for that), or maybe also change the slot of my gtx680, but im pretty sure the manual said i should placei t in the first one from top, the nearest to CPU, for a single card and that's where it is now... so it should be ok, but maybe it's damaged? I have really no idea and I hope you can help me :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Disable all screen savers/sleep modes and see if that changes anything.

You are running the latest and greatest drivers from the NVidia site?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

i dont think my monitor even has any sleep modes, but it really doesnt look like any of it, specially with the sound coming out of my pc...

but i jsut downloaded some drivers and i think they were newer than my previous ones because i could see some updates in the tab after instalation...
so maybe it will help, i will let you know in about 30 mins... :)

please keep in touch :( i want to get rid of this

#4 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

gosh, i can't belive that since i updated those drivers there was not a single black screen anymore :P

#5 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I cant belive that after 1h and 25 minutes of enjoying peaceful life with my new drivers, the black screen showed up again, just a second ago :(

#6 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

nobody knows how to help? :(

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Have you gone back to the 20 minute cycles, or has that changed?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Have you gone back to the 20 minute cycles, or has that changed?

I will tell you when I come back home from work. I will update my drivers for motherboard too, for BIOS etc...
So if the cycles stayed at about 60 minutes, making the black screen happen much more rarely, what would that mean?
if I at least knew which part causes the problem, I'd take it to the shop and exchange/repair :(
pls help!

Edited by flise, 06 February 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

i dont think my monitor even has any sleep modes, but it really doesnt look like any of it, specially with the sound coming out of my pc...

That seemed a strange comment to the question asked. You did not mention checking screensaver/monitor shutdown times that are set in the PC, not the monitor.

20 minutes seems too long to be a temperature issue but you could check your graphic card temperature over the period.

If the time is exactly 20 minutes that is most likely to be an electronics/processing problem. Electrical and mechanical issues (cables, fans, temperatures) tend to be more variable in time.

#10 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

its not exacly 20 mins, and as i can see, after the gpu driver update it is about every 60 min ... sometimes it happens twice in 3 mins , but then again 60 mins...

but I dont think i instaled any bios drivers for my motherboard at all... so it maybe the reason maybe?

#11 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

i just need to find out what it is... gpu, cpu, monitor? i updated bios drivers - did not help. I found some long forum topics about simular problems, but there was never a solution...

i did some prime95 test (40 mins long), ofc I dont think this will give any answers, but just to show u the results:

temps40min.png

prime40min.png

#12 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

update: i spent about 40 mins in bios and the problem takes place there too... so its probably hardware, not drivers, which gives me depression...

#13 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

noone can help ? :(

#14 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

You still have not answered the question originally posted by dpunisher and a reminder from myself about screensaver/monitor shutdown/sleep modes in the PC (Desktop Properties and Power Management dialogs).  It may not provide the answer but some comment should have been made to rule out the possibility.

#15 flise

flise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

i have switched off all power save modes in power options , like ''put pc to sleep in: never '' etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users