Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD After RAM Installation/Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixx1218

phoenixx1218

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

So I have a laptop that I wanted some more memory in for photoshop. The model is ASUS k53-e. I opened SIW to check the supported frequencies and also how the ram in it was configured. Turned out it was 1x4GB not 2x2 so i could save some money. It has pc2 10666 in it so i ordered a 4gb stick of that so i can use it in dual channel. I opened it up and installed like normal, I've done this many a time. Put it back together boot and i get a BSOD. I restart and run startup repair thinking i may have hard reset but couldnt remember. Auto repair doesn't solve the issue but it tells me the registry is corrupted. I remove the new ram and try to but with nothing changed but no luck. Also tried with only the new ram and none=) figured it couldn't hurt. Last known good config and safemode both bluescreen so i go into command prompt via startup repair and entered the following.

cd C:\windows\system32\config
MD Temp
copy BCD-Template Temp
copy COMPONENTS Temp
copy DEFAULT Temp
copy SAM Temp
copy SECURITY Temp
copy SOFTWARE Temp
copy SYSTEM Temp
ren BCD-Template BCD-Template.bak
ren COMPONENTS COMPONENTS.bak
ren DEFAULT DEFAULT.bak
ren SAM SAM.bak
ren SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.bak
ren SECURTY SECURITY.bak
ren SYSTEM SYSTEM.bak
copy C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\BCD-Template C:\Windows\System32\Config\BCD-Template
copy C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\COMPONENTS C:\Windows\System32\Config\COMPONENTS
copy C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\DEFAULT C:\Windows\System32\Config\DEFAULT
copy C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\SAM C:\Windows\System32\Config\SAM
copy C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\SECURITY C:\Windows\System32\Config\SECURITY
copy C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\SOFTWARE C:\Windows\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
copy C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\SYSTEM C:\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM

All files were found and copied, the back ups were from a couple of days ago(today being when i installed the ram)but it still blue screens. I didn't run memtest because it was fine before the new stick and doesn't work without it now.

I have ~300GB of data on the drive and i could borrow a friends to save it and reinstall but im sure most of you know how annoying it is to resinstall all of your applications and reconfigure them.

Is there a way that i could recover my registry using a live cd?
How can i solve this issue without formatting my hard drive?

Any insight is greatly appreciated, i have a paper saved only to the drive due soon that i could just copy over but i don't yet have a reason to, please don't give me one =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phoenixx1218

phoenixx1218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Update, drive is not recognized as external storage device, waiting for ubuntu live now to try and get at the files but it seems to be taking longer than normal

#3 phoenixx1218

phoenixx1218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Resolved by reinstalling windows...everyone can use a clean slate now and then anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users