Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP setup error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bradam

bradam

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Decided to reinstall XP sp3 on this pc that has been acting up for years. Tried to do a repair when given the choice, but was stopped when asked for the administrator password.?? So I figured to do a reinstall over top of the existing. Process stopped with an error message that seemed to indicate the CD drive was not giving what was needed. Now I can't boot normally into windows. The setup keeps coming up and looks for the cd, which when put into the drive repeats the same error. I tried to start in safe mode, but got an error message that windows setup cannot be run in safe moode.

Any ideas on how to get windows to boot normally?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Decided to reinstall XP sp3 on this pc that has been acting up for years. Tried to do a repair when given the choice, but was stopped when asked for the administrator password
Any ideas on how to get windows to boot normally?

did you just stop because it asked for the password ,or did you try hitting enter and try to proceed pass the request for the password

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 bradam

bradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Not sure now, all I know is the computer insists on booting to windows setup, asks for the installation cd, and when I put it in the drive an error message comes up saying there is a reading error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users